Donkey Tails and Echeverias

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
YellowFish

Donkey Tails and Echeverias

Post by YellowFish »

I just received two lovely plants in the mail and yes I have fallen in love with them and am trying to find how to best take care of them. The one I am most concern with is the Donkey Tail. When I took it out of the box a few days ago it was looking pretty good, slightly wrinkly leaves here and there, but nothing alarming. So I potted it up and set it near the window and then we had a little cold snap for about two days now, and I've been noticing the leaves getting wrinklier... also a few dropped off. Could it have been the cold snap that did this? Will it recover on it's own with a little heat and care? Is there anything more I can do to help? Oh yes and I did give it a good dose of water after repotting, not too much but not too little I didn't want to shock it, but I knew it was probably thirsty.
I also got some kind of Echeveria, it looks very health! But, I am very curious about what kind it might be, I am stuck between E. colorata and E. cuspidata. Also it's got some flower stocks on it, some look as if they have already flowered with shriveled petals and all, and some are getting close to flowering. This is the first that I've gotten to see the miracle of flowering succulents and I don't want to do silly to ruin it, any suggestions would be great.
Attachments
donkey tail in 4 inch wide pot
donkey tail in 4 inch wide pot
P1120666.JPG (73.76 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
P1120670.JPG
P1120670.JPG (66.74 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
P1120682.JPG
P1120682.JPG (67.75 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
P1120689.JPG
P1120689.JPG (39.4 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
iann

Re: Donkey Tails and Echeverias

Post by iann »

Did they have roots?

These things are succulents, so they should be fine without any water for .. well months in some cases. Certainly my Echeverias go dry for four months or more over winter and look good on it. You can water them quite freely in summer if they are well rooted but don't try it in winter. There are a few that buck the summer-grower theme but I don't think that yours is one of them.

I think the other one is a Sedum? Not as hardy as many Sedums but should be safe enough down to freezing which I'm sure yours didn't get? More likely it needs to re-establish its roots and this is best done by not drowning them.
--ian
YellowFish

Post by YellowFish »

Thanks Ian,
They both had really good looking roots when I got them. I'll try and curb my want to water them, and see how they do once they get used to it here. I don't think it got anywhere near 30 by my window, maybe mid 50's though.
Any idea of what kind of Echeveria I've got? It's so small that I think it might be a cuspidata, but I guess it could be some sort of hybrid too. It also looks as if it might have two little pups just starting to form from it's base, I am assuming that they only do this when they are mature and full grown?
iann

Post by iann »

I don't know what it is. Could be a hybrid. Some Echeverias will pup like there is no tomorrow, some are really stubborn. I've got one in a 2" pot that already has pups.
--ian
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

The Echevreria looks like E. purpursorum to me.
Buck Hemenway