E. senilis: Is this typical?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Steve Johnson

E. senilis: Is this typical?

Post by Steve Johnson »

My Eriosyce senilis started showing flower buds 3 weeks ago. Here's what it looked like last weekend:
Eriosyce_senilis02042012.JPG
Here's what it looks like today:
Eriosyce_senilis02112012.JPG
My guess is that the plant will go into full flower in a week or so. This is a new experience for me, and I was wondering if it's typical for E. senilis to take so long to flower. Would it indeed be typical, or could there be something that's retarding normal flower development? If so, is that something I need to address? (I am such a worrywort sometimes!!!)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
CoronaCactus

Re: E. senilis: Is this typical?

Post by CoronaCactus »

Yup, right on time. The GH ones started about 2.5 weeks ago, the SH ones are at the same stage as yours.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

CoronaCactus wrote:Yup, right on time. The GH ones started about 2.5 weeks ago, the SH ones are at the same stage as yours.
Ooh, nice! I remember you saying that E. senilis flowers come in several flushes, so I look forward to a pretty display going on hopefully through the end of March.

By the way, my Melo matanzus decided to put out a couple of flowers recently. They hid so well inside the cephalium I didn't see any evidence until the fruits appeared. I wonder if there might be a few more nice little surprises in there.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

I gotta check mine, I repotted it during class and it seems like the buds are still on it but its slow to bloom. Still a little cold sometimes at night so it' s inside.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
iann

Post by iann »

Growth in winter is always a little slower. Mine can take a good month from me spotting tiny buds to getting the fairly large flowers open. The good news is that they last many days.

E. senilis is also quite frost hardy. 20F shouldn't a problem for short periods, maybe even a bit lower. It is from a Mediterranean climate and likes to grow when nights are cool. I suspect you could cause it serious trouble by watering in an Arizona heatwave, although here in England they seem to suck up water at any time hot or cold.
--ian
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Yep - same with mine - I first saw the start of flower buds on mine on Jan 20th...and the first one should open any day now.
Can't wait, because this is the first Eriocyse flower for me - the hummers should be happy!
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

mine didnt have any buds on it. There were a few others that did. I like the look of it and so yeah. I will have to see what mine does :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Does increasing light or temps, or both, set off budding in E. senilis? Or is it "special" West Coast air? :wink: I (accidently) acquired one end of this past summer, d/t wrong shipment. Of course, once I got it, I really liked it, & All are accepted in this household :D . I'm assuming it's a "young" (i.e. 2 - 3 yr) plant. It's been indoors with temp @ 60f. Never made it into the "cool/43F" room since it was a bareroot newcomer, so that probably is going to limit flowering.
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
iann

Post by iann »

They *should* be triggered by shorter winter days, or possibly by them lengthening slightly. The normal time to flower is at the end of winter, and that applies in habitat too. Some people persuade them to flower at the end of summer and I'm not entirely sure what's going on there.

Some other types of Neoporteria start flowering as soon as days length, or temperatures cool, and then keep it up right through winter, but that isn't normal for E. senilis.
--ian
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Thanks, Ian. So, of course, during my mid-afternoon plant tour, I found myself in front of the Erios. senilis. And I sez to myself, gee why don't you just look, maybe ...
Ka-ching! Lookey what I found :D !
IMG_0707_1.JPG
IMG_0707_1.JPG (270.38 KiB) Viewed 1973 times
So thank you, all you southermost harbringers of Spring! Even tho we're a good 2 months away!
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
christos

Post by christos »

iann wrote:Growth in winter is always a little slower. Mine can take a good month from me spotting tiny buds to getting the fairly large flowers open. The good news is that they last many days.

E. senilis is also quite frost hardy. 20F shouldn't a problem for short periods, maybe even a bit lower. It is from a Mediterranean climate and likes to grow when nights are cool. I suspect you could cause it serious trouble by watering in an Arizona heatwave, although here in England they seem to suck up water at any time hot or cold.
Living in a mediterranean climate and having all my plants, besides Melocacti etc., outside, I have reached to the same conclusion with Ian.
Eriosyce do like autumn and spring better than the hot summer days and nights for their time of growth.

The same applies for Copiapoae(but more for autumn than spring).
Awesome plants!!!
Cacti:plants with shape, strength and character.
iann

Post by iann »

The same applies for Copiapoae(but more for autumn than spring).
I think Copiapoas like warm nights, but not hot days.
--ian
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

And here we are! A pic from my E. senilis today:
Eriosyce_senilis02262011.JPG
Eriosyce_senilis02262011.JPG (99.38 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
Two more are about to open, and there's a new little bud just hiding behind it. Does take awhile, doesn't it? But worth waiting for, and a harbinger of spring (finally!).
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Beautiful!! Congrats on flowers! Mine is still chugging along, and I hope my first bloom is not too far behind yours!