sun exposure

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Joel143

sun exposure

Post by Joel143 »

Hello everyone,

Might be a stupid question but here goes. Does Cacti need the same amount of sun exposure during the winter months as during the summer months? Im asking due to I purchased a large greenhouse inorder to move my cacti off my porch. During the summer, either porch or greenhouse they will/would get between 6 to 7 hours of indirect to direct sunlight. During winter and the angle of the sun, in the greenhouse they would get between 2 to 4 hours due to the trees but on the porch are receiving about 5 hours. I know as it cools off they tend to go dormant but when it comes to sunlight Im alittle in left field. I've had them on my porch for alittle over a year whereby they are doing great. Its just starting to get alittle crowded.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Joel
peterb

Post by peterb »

All of the plants I grow from the Chihuahuan Desert region are in storage in the dark over the winter, completely dormant. Even in sun, they don't do much of anything anyway, until a combo of thermal and light triggers hit sometime in late winter.

Other plants grow over the winter and of course they need good sun if they are growing.

peterb
Zone 9
Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

Sorry I should of mentioned the type of cactus I have. Mammillaria, Trichocereus, echinopsis, ferocactus...these make up my main collection. With the trees along the outside border of my property all day direct sun is impossible especially during winter months. But if say 6 hours of direct sun in the summer and 2 or 3 in winter would do then I could place them in the greenhouse.

Any thoughts please.
iann

Post by iann »

It's a lot more sun than mine get. Average sun is only about 3 hours a day here in summer, winter is hardly worth measuring.
--ian
Joel143

Post by Joel143 »

iann wrote:It's a lot more sun than mine get. Average sun is only about 3 hours a day here in summer, winter is hardly worth measuring.
So Ian, you would say it would be not a problem then for me. think I will do it and place my cactus in my greenhouse. Worse case I can just move them back to the porch.