New to Growing Cacti: Soil & General Care Questions

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Ryan349

New to Growing Cacti: Soil & General Care Questions

Post by Ryan349 »

My name is Ryan and I just recently became interested in growing Cacti. This weekend I bought a Parodia Magnifica and a Mammillaria Pilcayensis and have a few questions about soil to grow them in.

Right now I'm thinking about using a 50/50 mix of Miracle-Grow Cacti Soil and Perlite.

My questions are
1) Should I change the ratio & add more perlite?
2) Should I add another ingredient like topsoil or regular potting soil & use less Miracle-Grow?
3) What other advice do you have for a good Cacti soil?

Like I said, I'm new to all of this and any advice on general care for my two cacti would also be appreciated. Thanks!
iann

Post by iann »

1. Miracle Gro cactus soil is the worst cactus soil I've ever seen. Read the loads of posts here about soil and then consider using something else. Yes, you should add more perlite to any commercial cactus soil. Lots more!

2. Probably you should use something else. Hard to say exactly what because there don't seem to be any national brands that are worth recommending. Good sandy topsoil is a nice starting point, but bagged "topsoil" is usually horrible and increasingly often not even topsoil, just poorly aged green waste.

3. Drainage is good :) Perlite is OK, pumice is better. Various expanded clay products are good to. Grit is OK, but heavy and not as forgiving as the porous granules.
--ian