Adromischus

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Sudhira

Adromischus

Post by Sudhira »

Recently obtained an order of various Adromischus from C and D...I am really drawn to these plants, are there any tips or tricks do's and don'ts, to raising them to their full potential? Winter growers methinks? I know I can web search all that, but there isn't too much on these pretties...

Thank you kindly,

Sharon
Monterey Bay, CA
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

For us, they enjoy a good amount of heat, although we keep them on benches about 1 foot lower than the rest. Plenty of water during spring/summer, dry to maybe an occaisional misting in winter. We use a small amount of organics in the soil mix and fertilize with a low dose with every watering.
iann

Post by iann »

Lots of variation, from winter growers to summer growers. Also lots of adaptibility to whatever you throw at them.

The very common A. cooperi prefers more summer water while the multitude of A. alstonii forms prefer less water in hot weather.
--ian
C And D

Post by C And D »

For us, they are what we call winter Growers.
The grow best during the Fall and Spring, with a slow down mid winter, and then slow down in the Summer for flowering, and they take a rest late summer during/after flowering.

But we water them all year no matter what, since it never gets too hot here in Coastal California in the summer, usually once a week in the warm months, and every 2 weeks when cooler. They can handle alot of water, if your soil is right.

They are hard to kill, but every time I did kill one, it was during late summer. But they would probably rot during the winter if kept too wet.

We use a rather rich soil mix, compared to other more difficult plants, but small pots that dry out quickly.
They can't handle super strong light without some skin damage, and are better off kept under shade cloth or in a green house. Some direct light gives them better color, so you have to balance it just right for the best results, like Haworthias and Conophytums.
But they grow fine with filtered light, just more leggy and pale.
Last edited by C And D on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
Sudhira

Post by Sudhira »

Thanks!
iann

Post by iann »

I bet Craig has grown a lot more of these than I have! Also the climate is more similar. They try to grow in winter here but desperately slow. Then they are desperately slow again in summer, taking about half the year to grow a flower stalk and open a few tiny bells.
--ian