Contest 62 : Discussion and related Pictures

Registered users may enter and vote on their favorite cactus picture!
Jens

Contest 62 : Discussion and related Pictures

Post by Jens »

Please discuss the old men of the collections here.
Jens

Post by Jens »

@cactushobbyman: It is feeling at home in your place!
Great plant. :D
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

I need some clarification--should these "ancient" cacti be ones we have owned for a long time (even if they are not neccessarily old) or old cacti that we own (maybe came into possession of an old man)? I Hope that makes sense.
iann

Post by iann »

A new contest to brighten up the New Year :)

I had the same thought. Oldest plant or longest time under my care? I think I can remember the first one I got when I moved to England, but I'm pretty sure I have plants that are older.
--ian
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I didn't think of that and just assumed it meant plant that has been in your care the longest. However, I don't want to put up my entry until I find out which it should be.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

How about a picture of an old man holding a cactus? That I can manage.
Every day, after supper, Granny walks two miles. We haven't seen her in years.
John C

Post by John C »

I believe that it is the plant you have had in your care for the longest. Let's see what Jens' opinion is.

cactushobbyman, That is quite a specimen! Beautiful! 8)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
Jens

Post by Jens »

Hello all.
It can be read either way : Your oldest plant can be the cactus or succulent that you had under your care for very long time (I would say if the oldest one isn´t the pretiest one you could also post a nicer specimen which germinated from seed a few days later :) )

Your oldest plant could also be the one that you have reliable record of being the oldest.
Thinking of it some genera do live longer than the average lifespan of a human (e.g. Copiapoa , Welwitschia maybe Carnegia gigantea too?).

I think both aspects would be interesting to look at in this picture contest.

@Bruce: Old man with old cactus would even be better :D
Jens

Post by Jens »

Nice Ariocarpus (retusus?) Ian, maybe you can estimate how old it is by comparing pictures of when you got it with this recent one.

That really is a good point Daiv - how old is a plant that has been vegetatively propagated by cuttings for decades or even centuries (- like this Schlumbergera clone that you mentioned)?
iann

Post by iann »

Jens wrote:Nice Ariocarpus (retusus?) Ian, maybe you can estimate how old it is by comparing pictures of when you got it with this recent one.
Age is very difficult to judge. It had no roots when I got it (not any good ones anyway) and had been neglected for some time so could be a bit older than expected. Since then, given a year out to grow new roots, it has grown quite quickly which tends to happen when the taproot is removed.

It has moved on from this and even has a small pup on one side, although that it making it tilt over.
--ian
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Huh, I'm out of this one....my oldest ones have only been around 3-4 years.....no where close to "old"... :)
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Jens

Post by Jens »

Hi Ian , so if you had it for 10 years it might be about 25-30 years old?
Well grown living rock cactus!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

gemhunter178 wrote:Huh, I'm out of this one....my oldest ones have only been around 3-4 years.....no where close to "old"... :)
This does NOT disqualify you. If your oldest plant is only 6 months, post it. The contest is your oldest so post away. I think seeing the differences in collection ages is another interesting aspect of this contest.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

If anyone is wondering why I didn't enter my Ariocarpus that's my avatar here's why:
It died because we forgot to check the weather....It does NOT like frost.... :(
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
iann

Post by iann »

Hard to imagine that Ariocarpus was less than 15 years old when I got it. I certainly couldn't grow it to that size in 15 years.
Mammillaria <species>
M. hahniana.
--ian