Greetings from L.A.!

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
Steve Johnson

Greetings from L.A.!

Post by Steve Johnson »

Oops -- I started posting on the forum November 3, and I haven't properly introduced myself! Where are my manners??!!??

Anyway, I live in Los Angeles, California about 6 miles southwest of downtown. Been in the area pretty much my whole life. I first got into cacti when I was 12 back in 1970, and it quickly became a passion. I was blessed to have the friendship of some older people who were members of the local cactus and succulent community, so it really helped me to know and appreciate all these fascinating, unusual plants.

After maintaining a decent collection for 21 years, I went through a divorce which forced me into a new apartment without any place for even a single plant. However, all that has changed very much for the better. I started a new collection in June, and although it has to be on the small side, I find smaller cacti to be the most interesting, so this is a good fit for me. My favorite place is the California Cactus Center in Pasadena, which I knew 30 years ago. It was a real treat to find them again as I got my new collection going. I still have a little more room for new cacti, at which time I'll figure out a wish list for my next outing at CCC next spring.

I'm grateful for the online resources that weren't in existence during my young days. There was a lot I didn't know then, and while I'm back to newbie status, the Web is a real asset. I'm glad that I'm not totally in the dark here, so many thanks to CactiGuide and this wonderful forum!

Cheers!

Steve
peterb

Post by peterb »

Welcome! There are a lot of members from the LA area. Happy growing!

peterb
Zone 9
Tony

Post by Tony »

Hello Steve, and welcome to the forums. :)

If your ever in riverside give this guy a call.
The Mexican hat cactus nursery
Lots of specimen sized plants and most importantly, lots of great, relevant advice from a guy that has been growing them for a very long time. :wink:
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Tony wrote:Hello Steve, and welcome to the forums. :)

If your ever in riverside give this guy a call.
The Mexican hat cactus nursery
Lots of specimen sized plants and most importantly, lots of great, relevant advice from a guy that has been growing them for a very long time. :wink:
Thanks, Tony! I don't get out to Riverside all that much, but it's not out of the question. They say "by appointment only", so maybe I can set something in advance on a Saturday next April.

Steve
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

welcome!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) :hello2: Hello Steve and WELCOME to Cactiguide hope you enjoy it here.. :D

A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image