Echinocereus pensilis synonymy?

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
peterb

Echinocereus pensilis synonymy?

Post by peterb »

I was reading up a little bit on Echinocereus pensilis here and noticed Echinocereus leonensis was given as a synonym. Is this perhaps an error or was it published as a synonym at some point? Also, the original name, Morangaya pensislis isn't listed as a synonym. 9originally, the plant was considered unique enough to warrant it sown genus). One of the photos on the guide (the second one down)doesn't look like E. pensilis, to me.

peterb
Zone 9
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

I purchased one from a nursery with the label "Morangaya pensilis". It took me a while to figure out that it was actually Echinocereus pensilis. Here's a bit more information from Cactus-art.biz: Echinocereus pensilis (Syn: Morangaya pensilis [K. Brandegee] Rowley 1974)

I think the photo you mention seems a little off, too.

Anyway, it's a neat species and very easy to root from cuttings. Under the right conditions, it grows like a weed. From my experience, it does not handle being exposed to sub-freezing temps.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Good catch! Those synonyms were accidentally copied from another record. Fixed now.

As for the second image. I think it probably is the correct plant, but the image is such poor quality, it ought to be replaced. I'll see if Juergen has a good pic to replace that with.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
peterb

Post by peterb »

Thanks Daiv, I am obsessed now with finding pensilis in habitat someday. I need a four wheel drive to get to the peak of the Sierra de la Laguna.

peterb
Zone 9