Snowfella's cactus trials

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
Red66

Post by Red66 »

Your new one I believe is Peruvianus Monstrusus.I love those.You have a Very impressive and beautiful collection.Thanx for showing them.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Great plants!
Looking back at your uncertain Fero ID, i wonder if it might be an Echinocactus?
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Ran out of room ages ago Tony :oops: Started planning to build another bench but for the time being I'm using an old plastic outdoors table as overflow bench...that's unfortunately full now too so I'm really in a pinch for room :lol:
Really need to get the outdoor bed going so I can pop some in the ground but weather and a bad back has kept me from really getting into it.

That C. peruvians monstrose is really in bad shape though, lots of corking down the base and I think most growth points are damaged beyond help from dessication and falls. I'll be repotting it as soon as I can as the soil is near concrete in the pot.

@Daiv: Could well be mate, only thing that speaks against it is that I've never seen anything other than E. grusonii from this grower and the new growth is starting to look more and more like F. glaucescens with centrals and tan spines.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

This small unnamed Parodia has turned out to be to grippy for it's own good, the hooked spines just won't allow the flower to open fully. :evil: The flower has even been pulled over near horizontally.
I initially thought it was a Mamm with those spines but I think I can safely say now that it isn't :lol:
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

New favourite in the flower department! :D
Resently purchased plant that I believe might be a Notocactus roseoluteus
ImageImage
:love10: :love7:
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Wow,nice blooms!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

those flowers are stunning! TFS!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Got lucky with that one I think, the gardencenter must just of got a shippment and had several identical ones on the shelf...all of them massively in bud.

Some randoms from today.
G. mihanovichii (I think) in bloom.
ImageImage

Have a feeling this unknown Echinopsis will be yellow.

It's little neighbour will likely end up red I'd say.

Little M. mammillaris is budding up for the first time for me.

Some random fruits forming.
G. stellatum

Parodia haselbergii ssp. graessneri, been working on these for weeks now.

Suspected Eriosyce heinrichiana with 3 fruits forming, I think.

And my unknown Stapeliad going nutso with new growth, bought with just 6 some stems. There's also 2 other Stapeliads/Huernias growing in the same pot that's doing the same.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Had some more Echinopsis in bloom over the last 2 days, managed to mostly miss one though :(

Echinopsis eyriesii, aborted one of it's buds last week but kept this one luckily.
ImageImage

Unknown Echinopsis, very small bloom making me think it's some kinda Lobivia hybrid.
ImageImage

Mainly missed the yellow one, was near closed when I got home from work yesterday and never really opened fully again today. Got some more buds forming though so I will hopefully have more chances to see it.

New purchases....again :oops:
Copiapoa sp with buds, Echinopsis sp, Echinocereus nivosus. Front Echinopsis chamaecereus crest (more likely than not it's a hybrid) and Mammillaria duwei.
The Echinocereus and Mammillaria are replacement for plant's that are on their way to die in my care. :oops:

And lastly 3 crappy mobilephone shots from the nursery's display garden, unfortunately the N. magnificus photo ended up blowing out majorly and nothing I've tried can make it look like it should. No real idea what the columnar is other than that I want one :lol: And lastly a just over 3 foot wide Golden Barrel.
ImageImageImage
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Nice blooms!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
amanzed

Columnar: Pachycereus marginatus?

Post by amanzed »

Terrific plants, blooms, photos.

Is that columnar cactus a particularly fat (I mean, well fed and watered) Pachycereus marginatus "Mexican Fence Post"?

[That's really my proposed ID. Lately I phrase my IDs in the form of a question so I don't seem quite as wrong if I miss. ;-)]
Last edited by amanzed on Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

No label on it so I can't say for sure, although it does look very much the same as photos I've found online.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

great looking flowers, very beautiful nursery plants too
that's a nice looking clump of n. magnifica
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

First bloom in the temporary gardenbed I made last summer, really need to knuckle down and get the permanent bed finished...also need to do some weeding :oops:

Likely another mongrel Echinopsis I'd say.
Yesterday afternoon, just not warm and sunny enough for it to open fully.
ImageImage

Around midday today just before getting dragged off christmas shopping by the wife.
ImageImage

And 10 minutes ago, 8pm after a relatively cool but sunny day, think it got more than it could handle somehow :lol:
Tony

Post by Tony »

Gotta love them "mongrel" Echinopsis's. :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony