Well I'm Glad That's Over With!

Post your non-cacti or non-succulent related posts here -some topics not allowed -see forum rules.
daiv
Site Admin

Well I'm Glad That's Over With!

Post by daiv »

You may remember this picture from the General section:

Here is how it looks today!

All split like this:

Just for fun, I made an animation of the process (5 MB file will take a while to load!)

http://www.cactusspine.com/graphics/wood_pile4.gif
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
RayC

Post by RayC »

YIKES, Thats a lot of wood to split by hand. Good excersise though. I hadn't split any for years (don't heat with wood, just have fireplace), but was kind of forced into spliting some yesterday as we haven't had power in about 8 days after storm here and what I had available was pretty rotten. I quickly figured out I had lost my touch after repeatly getting ax stuck :cry:
hob

Post by hob »

i used to split wood like that :shock: now i just turn on the gas :lol:
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

Thank goodness we don't need to heat the houses here in SA (at least not here in Durban - some of the colder regions probably have heating).
Nothing smells as sweet as a frangipani flower...
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

You need a log splitter man.. :P LOL!! Dont feel bad Daiv we will be doing alot of tree cutting and wood splitting come next yr, we are deffinately getting a wood burnning stove, with the way propane prices are its gona be worth it. :D
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well that is all Red Oak. That stuff splits pretty easy and seldom has troublesome knots. That said, swinging the 8 pound maul hundreds of times is indeed good exercise. I find that I am not nearly as active here in winter months, so I purposely split it by hand for the very reason of the exercise aspect.

However, as much as I like that, wood that is softer or stringy - Elm or Maple for example, I will rent a wood splitter for that.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

I have split, cut, stack and now I just carry a 40lb. sack of pellets into the house. If the power goes out, extra blankets will work. Not too many days under 32 degrees.
cactuslee

Post by cactuslee »

yea, i know what you are talking about. i heat my house with wood and i had to have all my wood in before sept. 13 as i was having a knee replaced so i had to do it while it was still quite warm outside.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

cactuslee wrote:so i had to do it while it was still quite warm outside.
Oh man, that doesn't sound good. Cool fall days in the 40's or so are definitely the best for putting up wood.
iann

Post by iann »

If you had enough wood to cut (and the stamina to do it!) then you wouldn't need heat at all :)
--ian
Len

Post by Len »

Hopefully my wood splitting days are over,Now I just start the generator,if needed. I like the slide show, Len
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

lolz when I was a kid we lived in Cincinnati, and we lived near a park that had beech trees. I remember helping my dad carry wheelbarrow loads of the wood home to split. Swinging a 5LB sledge hammer when you are about 8 is hard to do! I remember once my dad was chopping and I was carrying some wood and I heard my dad yell and a glass break. Yup he slammed the wedge into a knot in the wood and it flew out the side and broke a window to the basement.. lolz.

BTW I want a wood burning stove. I have so far been discouraged from putting one in by the ex-inlaws.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
*Barracuda_52*

Re: Well I'm Glad That's Over With!

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) I know this is a ol thread but hey Daiv now its our turn, picking up the wood stove sunday found what we were looking for and now its cut/split/stack wood time been doing that for few days now, we also got the ol wood room down stairs cleaned out and opened the wood shoot door so we will be filling that room up all next week, even though its July we have to hurry and get prepared for winter months and it takes time getting trees cut and split then stacked. Will be nice NO MORE BIG ARSE PROPANE BILL, WOOT!!! :P Im gona be one sore hurtin woman by the time we get done and have enough wood .. :lol:

Daiv do you heat with wood or fuel oil??
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey Tracey, well as you know, wood heat is a lot more cozy. Because you make a fire and heat the place up. Not hover over the thermostat keeping it as low as you can stand to cut cost. The smell/feel/etc. of wood burning is great too.

I gotta say, you are a lot tougher than me to be cutting wood in July! I think I'd rather cut in snow than in heat.

This house has a fuel oil furnace, but after filling that the first time, i got really serious about burning wood!
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) We use t have a wood burning stove at a old house/mini farm we had many yrs ago was really nice to heat the house that way saved us alot in propane bills, but now with the cost of propane i cant afford over $2,000 in propane bills for the winter months like we did the past 2 yrs. We have been wanting to switch to wood burning stove for awhile now and i finaly found the wood stove i had been looking for and snatched it up dont know if you remember this brand but its called a Nashua we got lucky and found the NFP-2 which is the larger model which its dont show in the pics. We are doing a few things to it adding a rheostat, pipe work to each vent to conect to our duct work and ect ect. So its going to heat this massive house good enough for our liking.
Heres alittle about it the company is no longer in bizz this wood stove was from back in the 70's
http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Nashua/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for the wood cutting YES its a real pain to do in the heat thats why we work on that early morn and evenning hrs when its much cooler out. We also had alot of wood already cut split and stacked thats been sitting outside for 2 yrs now. But its not enough to get us thru the winter better to stock up and be safe than sorry per say.. :P With hubby having MS he has a hard time doing things so i only let him cut durring the cooler hrs of the day i do the rest haul, split as much as i can, stack, i use the quad to pull the trees outa the woods to where hubby can get to um easier for better cutting up except for the really large trees then he has to cut them right where they are and i load the trailer and pull that with the quad. I can work out in the heat where as he cant. Whats really nice is having all the trees you need right out your door :mrgreen: we are cutting up the most seasoned wood we can find right now and also any downed trees from last yr and this yr, then we start cutting other trees. Im not only gona fill the wood room im also gona load alot into the garage as well, then the rest can stay outside coverd up. Its gona be a looooooooong next few months.
Last edited by *Barracuda_52* on Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.