Hobby greenhouse infor worth looking at

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
cactushobbyman

Hobby greenhouse infor worth looking at

Post by cactushobbyman »

I am posting this information because when I started building my greenhouse, the information was hard to find and most of the information out there did not apply. I searched for plans and materials and viewed the super/mega stores for greenhouses. I searched the custom greenhouses both cedar and redwood and found they were good products, but expensive. Let’s go back. In 1980 I built a lean-to greenhouse when I lived in San Jose, CA. With a semi coastal climate, the greenhouse was perfect for house plants and not bad for cacti. The greenhouse was made of corrugated panels. Today I live in zone 9, Sanger, CA, 100+ degrees in summer and very common to have 25 degree winter nights. About 8 years ago, it got down to 17 degrees. Today as I post this, it reached 100.

The greenhouse I built is 9’X14’ with 6’ sidewalls. The ridge beam is 7’ 6” high. The greenhouse frame is made with 2x4 redwood and double wall 8mm polycarbonate. I went with a 2’ pony wall because we have plenty of sun light. I use a solar attic fan for circulation and the split door is screen during the summer and polycarbonate in the winter. All the lumber I was able to get at LOWES. The polycarbonate I got online from the super/mega store. I use shade cloth during the summer to keep the heat low. Without shade cloth it can be like an oven.

The inside I built benches, install a sink, electrical and lights. I started on my summer break, I teach, and finished just before school starts. I have made a few changes since I built the greenhouse. Total cost of material was under 3000.00, and I can guarantee you it is better than any product out there on the market at the same price.

If you would like more info, pictures, or anything I can help you with, let me know. I would have liked to have had the info when I started planning this project many years ago. Thanks

Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Very nice! It has been a year since the date on the pictures, have you run out of room? Is there anything you think would have improved your plan? Is that double walled polycarb? How thick?
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

The panels are double wall 8mm, close to 1/4". I have added a small second tier shelf for my spider plants and pregnant onion plants. I use one side to nurse cacti and just repotted plants. Most of my cacti are in my yard, see Members Topic and cacti ID. I have a shelf under one shelf for cuttings to heal up before repotting and one under shelf for potting soil, gravel, sand and supplies. As space is needed, I have room to add a second tier of shelves above the current ones on three of the four sides, hense the 6' side walls. I designed it as a horse shoe shape with 32 lineal feet of shelves. I have two 30" wide by 14' long and one 30" wide by 5' long. It will be a long time before I run out of room. Thanks
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

That is a really good-looking, well built greenhouse! You have great skills!

If you would post any of your build progress pictures, I for one would enjoy seeing them. I've learned so much from looking at other people's efforts.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Ken Shaw

Post by Ken Shaw »

It's beautiful!!

May I ask, why is your center beam projecting out? In such a well planned structure, it must have a purpose!
"I like the spikey ones
better than the squashy ones"
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Daiv I'll try to post some pictures while I was building the greenhouse.

Ken, the center beam (ridge beam) is a 2x6x16'. The length of the greenhouse is 14'. With that span, I did not want any sagging over time. With the beam extending 1' out pass the end walls, the weight is transfer towards the center point of the beam and the load is not at the very end of the beam. I hope this transfer will reduce any sagging. In addition, one end of the beam is where the solar panel is mounted for the attic fan, and the other if needed in the future, I can install any outside light. When I started designing the greenhouse, all these questions I had to figure out. That's why I'm more than happy to send pictures and answer any questions. Also, I can walk on any part of the greenhouse and not worry about falling through. Thanks
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Excellent build! Some master carpentry skills went into that.
Now that you've found CactiGuide....We'll be taking bets as to just how long it takes for you to build 3 more. It's awesome, but much too small 8)
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

Darryl I'm not sure if I'll build any more. But never say never. The tools I used were; hand saw, drills, circular saw, table top saw, chop saw, router and hammer and air nailer. My skill are not at the master level, but design so any weekender home project person can do. I wanted a greenhouse for some time, but kids in school and all the travel teams, well greenhouse could wait. This allowed me to design. Hard core planning and design was around six plus months. This included finding material and researching and seeing what out there.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

cactushobbyman wrote: With the beam extending 1' out pass the end walls, the weight is transfer towards the center point of the beam and the load is not at the very end of the beam.
Brilliant! I think it is rather aesthetically pleasing too. Maybe a good place to mount a light or make a small triangle shaped roof to shield directly above the door? Or just leave it.
cactushobbyman

progress pictures

Post by cactushobbyman »

I have posted some pictures while I was building the green house. One is showing the foundation. I used pressure treated 4x4 on top of pea gravel, to reduce any soil to wood contact. Another is the beginning framing and a lot of the building was done by myself with little help. One side view shows the framing for the pony wall an another is the finished framing stage with Redwood Fence stain and seal. I included a picture of laying in the polycarbonate. Each panel was cut to fit by me. Very long process. The last is the solar fan that work good. Any questions I can help with let me know. Thanks

jamesfe

Post by jamesfe »

Now that is one sweet looking greenhouse. Very nice job.
Ken Shaw

Post by Ken Shaw »

Really great work!

Please post more pictures when you get plants in it!
"I like the spikey ones
better than the squashy ones"
Tony

Post by Tony »

Yup, thats one fine looking greenhouse! 8)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Great design - thanks for adding the "build" pics.
cactushobbyman

Update from comments

Post by cactushobbyman »

Some of you wanted to see update pictures of the greenhouse and my plants. Most of my cacti are in my yard as part of the landscape. However, since I am starting seeds for my winter vegetable garden, I had to arrange some space, cleaned up, and I took a few pictures. The first is the second tier of shelf space just to see how it will work. I have some spider plants, pregnant onions, and some succulents. All the spiders and pregnant onions I started from one plant.

Next is my try at planting from seeds. These seeds are from my golden barrels. I open a pod and just put them on top of the soil. Over 150 babies. Wow!

Next picture is more cacti waiting to be repotted or put into my garden. Their parent plant had rot or something on them so I rescued them. Their flower is yellow, not the pink flower.

The last is cacti that have been repotted, that were sick or from cuttings. In this picture about 50 plus plants.