Using Spines To Graft With (?)

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Jefff

Using Spines To Graft With (?)

Post by Jefff »

I read on the net that you can use them and that they'll just eventually disappear inside the cactus. Then I read that it's not true.

Well yesterday I used two spines just to pin down a scion so it didn't slip all over while I was taping it down.
It worked perfectly, but I pushed the spines all the way into the scion and stock. One may be sticking out a tiny bit so I can possibly pull it back out later if necessary.

Is it going to be a problem having the spines permanently in there?
:?
Skif_S

Re: Using Spines To Graft With (?)

Post by Skif_S »

Jefff wrote:I read on the net that you can use them and that they'll just eventually disappear inside the cactus. Then I read that it's not true.

Well yesterday I used two spines just to pin down a scion so it didn't slip all over while I was taping it down.
It worked perfectly, but I pushed the spines all the way into the scion and stock. One may be sticking out a tiny bit so I can possibly pull it back out later if necessary.

No problems. But spines (usually Opuntia spines)must be sterilized by ethyl alkohol before grafting.
Jefff

Re: Using Spines To Graft With (?)

Post by Jefff »

Skif_S wrote:
Jefff wrote:I read on the net that you can use them and that they'll just eventually disappear inside the cactus. Then I read that it's not true.

No problems. But spines (usually Opuntia spines)must be sterilized by ethyl alkohol before grafting.
Thanks again Skif. I should have asked before actually using them. I didn't use alcohol on them (and I always use alcohol to sterilize everything).

For some reason I just ran them under boiling (less than boiling) water.

Well we'll see how it goes with them.
ali

Post by ali »

I would be happy if i can see some pictures !
:D
promethean_spark

maybe

Post by promethean_spark »

I once found a piece of wire run through one of my cacti that must have been there for years (it had been an errant blow-dart shaft when I was a teenager), so the plant might be okay, but then again it might cause infection and rot. The stabbed plant of mine was a hardy echinopsis.
Skif_S

Post by Skif_S »

ali wrote:I would be happy if i can see some pictures !
:D
Please, see, for example, follow topics
"my cacti graft experiense" and
"opuntia as stock?" in this forum.
ali

Post by ali »

Thanks Skif!