Hailstorm

Do-it-yourself projects such as greenhouse or shadehouse builds and related topics.
Ralf

Hailstorm

Post by Ralf »

Last Wednesday I had a short hailstorm. I wasn't home at this time. After my return I've seen the result.
A partly destroyed roof of my greenhouse. There are some cracks and holes. I guess that this damage will pay the insurance.

Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
iann

Post by iann »

Is that twinwall polycarbonate? Did the hail go right through it? I've dropped things a lot heavier than a hailstone on it and hardly made a dent.
--ian
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

It is twinwall polycarbonate! One hail stone is thru the roof. The others only thru the first layer. I guess the hail had table tennis ball size.
All is renewable and no plant have got any damages. I had luck on my side. More or less. :?
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.

Harriet

Post by Harriet »

If the hail did that to polycarbonate, imagine what it would have done to you!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
apfire

Post by apfire »

Amazing! When I built my greenhouse one of the manufacturers said some thicknesses are used as bullet proof glass. UV does weaken it over years.
I am just looking for the defining statement to put here. Follow this link to see my other cacti.
http://s290.photobucket.com/user/apfire ... cti%202013, 2014 http://s290.photobucket.com/user/apfire ... New%20Year
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Hail can do some pretty significant damage though, I took some photos a few years back of the aftermath of a freak hailstorm down here that dented car's, broke windows and even rooftiles. I missed driving headfirst into it by about 5 minutes but it hit my wife's work badly.

These are the only ones I still have online, will be going offline in less than a week though as my old website is getting retired.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hard to imagine that Polycarbonate getting damaged! Although, I agree that UV makes it brittle slowly over time so maybe that is a factor.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Ralf

Post by Ralf »

Daiv the new roof have had for only 1 year UV light.
And thru the winter protected by bubble wrap.
That can't be the only reason for the damage.