Idaho pediocactus

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

The other I have seen are from the lost river range, and are much smaller, and look different. I also have one from south eastern Idaho that looks different also, it was given to me by someone that knew i liked cactus.
iann

Post by iann »

The ones in the Lost River Range were almost certainly P. nigrispinus ssp indraianus. Dark central spines, a small taproot, and quite slow growing.

In the very south of Idaho and the very north of Nevada and Utah is a type of Pediocactus called P. simpsonii ssp idahoensis, one of many names given to plants with certain appearances. I don't think I could tell this apart from any other P. simpsonii, but it is supposed to be more strongly clustering and the flowers less strongly scented.
--ian
mjazz

Post by mjazz »

I'm sure Idaho gets as cold, if not colder, than Rhode Island, but I'm not sure if these plants would survive our winter rains.
DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

mjazz wrote:I'm sure Idaho gets as cold, if not colder, than Rhode Island, but I'm not sure if these plants would survive our winter rains.
I think they would if you had very good drainage, they can see very wet springs heres when the snow melts. :D
DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

iann wrote:The ones in the Lost River Range were almost certainly P. nigrispinus ssp indraianus. Dark central spines, a small taproot, and quite slow growing.

In the very south of Idaho and the very north of Nevada and Utah is a type of Pediocactus called P. simpsonii ssp idahoensis, one of many names given to plants with certain appearances. I don't think I could tell this apart from any other P. simpsonii, but it is supposed to be more strongly clustering and the flowers less strongly scented.
Thanks for all the good info. Here is a pic of the one from SE Idaho (Rockland area).