The Coming Winter

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
stevo3214

The Coming Winter

Post by stevo3214 »

I know that it's still a number of months before winter hits, but I want to be well prepared for growing my cactus when the time comes. The problem is that winters are pretty harsh here and I live in an apartment. I do have a south-facing window, so that might help a little, except that half the time the glass is so frosted/iced over that not much sun gets through. My main concern is lighting. Would an HPS system be a concern with my apartment landlord? :roll: I've heard they can generate lots of heat and take up lots of power. If that is not an option, I would appreciate any tips. I have plenty of time to save money, so that is not much of an issue. Thank you.
CaesiumFluoride

Post by CaesiumFluoride »

If it gets too cold buy some scalfs and cleverly fitted gloves to wrap them up (!)

No seriously, they should be find kept indoors over winter. It depends how cold its gonna get in a window sil but i assume you will have some form of central heating in your apartment? Unless you yourself want to freeze?

I centainly wouldn't have special heaters because cacti will need overwintering and cooler temps during winter dormancy.
--
CaesiumFluoride
stevo3214

Post by stevo3214 »

Unfortunately, I only have radiator-style heaters in my apartment. They work well, except that they dry the air horribly. Plus the windows have terrible drafts, and it can get -40 here with the windchill. Still, with the cactus needing to go into dormancy, that might not be the end of the world. I don't use my heat hardly, anyway, and it's still about 70 degrees in my place in January.
CaesiumFluoride

Post by CaesiumFluoride »

I'd just see how things go. If you're worried then get a thermometer and check the temp in the windowsill, if the temp drops below 5 celcius (41 f) then consider moving them maybe. Make sure you water them as little as possible though over the winter. If you have dry heat from radiators this will dry them out so give little water once or twice maybe to slightly dampen the soil. Hoope this helps
--
CaesiumFluoride
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Most cacti don't NEED a dormant period, some really like it, nearly all of them will tolerate it.

Therefore, for us blokes in the darker northern regions, we are better off forcing dormancy rather than trying to get enough light so that they can grow in winter.

Your south-facing window would be a great spot if they fit. The fact that it is cooler and frosts up is good. You may even want to put some sort of wall behind the cactus and the window. Check temps. If you can keep them cool, that would be helpful. They wouldn't need the light, but it sure won't hurt for them to have it - dormant or not.

Dry is ideal. You should not water them all winter. At least make sure they are dry when it starts to get cold, not after.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti