please help my favorite cactus :(

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
artichoke

please help my favorite cactus :(

Post by artichoke »

I am so sad...
my favorite cactus does not look so good. I bought him a couple of years ago and as a total novice didnt do several key things. I transfered him from a shady spot to a sunny one (really only direct sun for about 3 hours a day). I did not fertilize him (i didnt know and feel horrible).
this is what he looks like now

here are some close ups

it started off with a small side paddle but the bottom paddle looked good and there was new growth so i thought everything was ok. when the bottom paddle turned colors i knew there was a big problem.

is this from too much sun or no fertilizer or something else?
i fertilized him yesterday just in case...
will he be ok.
any other tips?
i just want him to live :(

any help is much appreciated.
-Artichoke
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

This plant is far from dead! The lower stems are corking. This is "normal", but can occur sooner or more extensively than would be in better conditions.

Lack of nutrients is one factor that contributes to "premature or excessive corking". Those parts won't revert, but it looks like there is new growth already happening. You don't have to do too much to keep this a healthy, thriving plant: lots of sun, plenty of water at the proper time, and of course some nutrients from fertilizer or repotting.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
artichoke

Post by artichoke »

hey daiv
thank you so much for your quick reply. i figured that the bottom of the bottom paddle is corking but what i was concerned about was the discoloration of the other parts of the paddles... is that only corking as well? it has a powdery like substance over it and when i wipe it away its much lighter green (and yellowish) and patchy than the original color. some areoles are also turning dark. if this is just corking you've made my day! this process (minus the corking at the base) have taken place over the past month. i assumed (probably incorrectly) that corking would be a slow process) i just dont want to keep it in its current location if there is a chance that this is sunburn damage.

thank you again
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Sunburn would affect the top-most (sun facing) surfaces first and most. So since the discoloring is uniform and only on the lower segments, that rules out sunburn.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
TimN

Post by TimN »

I agree with Daiv! I've seen much much much much worse Opuntias. :lol:

Just a few cultural issues that it sounds like you have a handle on. Another option is to take that nice pad off and start a new plant with it. The old one should continue to put out new pads.

I certainly don't see anything that would alarm me, unless there are bugs on it. Check with a 10X loupe to make sure, or give it a systemic insecticide.
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
Sutremaine

Post by Sutremaine »

Once you get the conditions right, the existing pads should start multiplying quickly enough that nobody's going to pay attention to the bottom two. It's quite nicely proportioned with those four developed pads.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

You didn't mention a name, so incase you're wondering, your plant is Opuntia quimilo.

I agree with what's been said, it's far from death. The powder is there to protect itself from both sunburn and excessive water absorbing through the skin and to help protect from fungus, bacteria, etc. entering in. Becareful of sunburn on the parts you rubbed it off.
artichoke

Post by artichoke »

thank for the help everyone...

darryl, after sifting through many opuntia pics i thought that quimilo was the most likely. by the way i picked up a nice little fred from you over the weekend sale.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Cool! Thanks for the support.
CaesiumFluoride

Post by CaesiumFluoride »

If it were me, I would cut of the green healthy looking pad, and root it. Opuntia root very easily and quickly.

Keep the original plant as it should shoot off again!
--
CaesiumFluoride
artichoke

Post by artichoke »

thanks everyone for their input.
because the plant is therefore healthy and hasnt grown much for the past two years i decided to take him out of the soil to repot him. the soil was hard as a rock likely mostly peat.

he is now just hanging out waiting to be repotted
hopefully with better soil he will start being happier.

quick question.
how long should i wait before putting him in new soil so that roots will heal?
how long should i wait once he's in the soil before i should water?
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

You can repot right away into a dry mix and wait about 3-5 days to water. Probably closer to 3, it's getting hotter with each passing day!