New Blooms

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

tumamoc wrote:Holy Smokes!..........................................................................................................................................................................................................:shock:
No kidding!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
John C

Post by John C »

WHAT A SHOW!!! 8)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
Charles

Post by Charles »

The Echinocereus reichenbachii v. perbellus is one cactus with 6 stems. It is about 5 years old. BTW, any photo I post is is free to use. I may have it misnamed. I have another one that I also labled Echinocereus reichenbachii v. perbellus SCARLET, but they are differnt. Sorry, I do not know the names of the unnamed cacti above.
:idea:
It has suddenly become hot here. I have a nine year old Yucca rostrata that has put up its first flower stalk. I read where it was not hot enough here for it to bloom. I started out with Yucca plants. Much confusion exist in naming Yucca plants, just as in the Cacti world. :|
Charles

more flowers

Post by Charles »

1. Opuntia fragilis denuda
2. This is a rapidly growing plant in Sparks NV.
3. Grusonia pulechella. This will bloom-out in a few days but I am going to get another heart stent Monday, did not want to wait.
This small pad Opuntia is planted in the same space with a Daylilly. I enjoy planting two plants in the same space.
4. Pediocactus knowltonii: These are growing well. I keep them in shade 80% of the day. They grew the white fuzz ten days ago.

iann

Post by iann »

My Pediocactus are all thoroughly dormant and shrunken although they were producing a little new growth until quite recently. That's what a greenhouse does to them! I'll be giving them a monsoon drink soon, because I don't grow them in 80% shade 8)
--ian
Charles

Post by Charles »

ian,
Can you show a photo of your pediocactus?
Here is a photo today of a
Gymnocalycium bruchii /Argentina LAVENDER
This plant is actually several years old. I moved it this spring to a new location with more shade.
It is doing much better.

Ten or twelve years ago, I cut down all of my trees and bushes for the cactus garden. I also cut down the neighbor's trees along my property line when the house was vacant. :D I am now working on ways to introduce shade. I use screen --as seen on the right of that photo, as shade.
iann

Post by iann »

You picked the right day to ask about my Pediocactus. Or the wrong day! Hottest day for years today. Several of the little ones have gone from almost level with the top dressing to completely sunken. I had a little check and got the highest reading I've ever seen on a cactus: 70C (158F)! Hard to imagine a plant can survive that, but they still seem to be alive.

Here is Pediocactus peeblesianus and I'm pretty sure it is doing fine.

Here is P. despainii, frighteningly shrunk in just a couple of days. Luckily the monsoon started this evening :)

Some Pediocactus aren't ever going to disappear underground, but they're still about half the size they were a couple of months ago.

P. simpsonii seedlings need to be tough to get through their first summer drought.
--ian