CactiGuide.comcactus forum
cactus home cactus identification cactus tech care for your cactus learn more about cactus
cactus nomenclature where cactus grow cactus forum cacti pests and diseases why I grow cactus

Succulent of the month

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.

Moderators: hob, templegatejohn

A New Succulent of the Month

Postby lancer99 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:45 pm

In that forum, check it out! Senna meridionalis, next up maybe Cynanchum, Jatropha, Albuca, and (gasp!) Euphorbia.

-R
lancer99

Re: A New Succulent of the Month

Postby hob » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:39 pm

lancer99 wrote:In that forum, check it out! Senna meridionalis, next up maybe Cynanchum, Jatropha, Albuca, and (gasp!) Euphorbia.

-R

Robert, I locked your succulent of the month topic, it is always done after posting, as moderator you can still change it if you need to.

It stops anything else being tagged on to it.

hob
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
hob

Postby lancer99 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:08 pm

hob,
With all due respect, I would prefer to keep the topic open. I'm not an expert, and welcome any feedback and/or corrections.

-R
lancer99

Postby hob » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:16 pm

lancer99 wrote:hob,
With all due respect, I would prefer to keep the topic open. I'm not an expert, and welcome any feedback and/or corrections.

-R

ok unlocked again. i usually get feedback in the cactus of the month topic or via pm then make changes if needed.

that way the cactus of the month section contains only the actual topics.
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
hob

Postby Shmuel » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:07 pm

Do succulent of the week comments go here? Or is there some place I missed?

It was great to see Sansieveria cylindrica as the featured plant, but I missed the lighting requirements - will it take full hot sun or does it want full shade or what?

Thanks,

Shmuel
Amazing plants, amazing form, amazing flowers...
Amazing cacti!
Shmuel

Postby GermanStar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:27 pm

Far as I know, all Sansieverias are pretty shady characters. Full shade or filtered light is generally best outdoors. I'm pretty sure it would turn into a pile of ashes under full sun. BTW, I have reliable reports of hardiness down to 27°F.
GermanStar

Postby lancer99 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:16 am

Schmuel, wherever you'd like! And thanks for noting my omission. I've added the following text to the article:

"Like most sansevierias, this species doesn't need much light, certainly not anything resembling full sun. Mine lives on a bottom shelf in my greenhouse, where it doesn't get any sunlight at all, although it gets a lot of indirect bright light."

-R
lancer99

Postby GermanStar » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:30 am

GermanStar wrote:Far as I know, all Sansieverias are pretty shady characters. Full shade or filtered light is generally best outdoors. I'm pretty sure it would turn into a pile of ashes under full sun. BTW, I have reliable reports of hardiness down to 27°F.

So much for "reliable reports". :roll: I have a badly damaged S. cylindrica, and it may or may not have just barely tickled the freezing mark one evening. 10 more various Sansieverias remain undamaged, including two other (and smaller) examples of S. cylindrica.
GermanStar

Aww, sorry to hear it.

Postby amanzed » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:11 am

That's a shame, GermanStar, but glad you reported back with the information. Sorry to hear about the damage!
amanzed

Postby Shmuel » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:44 am

GermanStar said:
I have a badly damaged S. cylindrica, and it may or may not have just barely tickled the freezing mark one evening

I have seen plantings of S. cylindrica in Jerusalem where is certainly hit freezing if not below. I suspect there are more factors involved rather than just the baseline species hardiness. The plantings I saw were all poorly maintained - which means dry. Perhaps having a partially dry plant means less turgor pressure in the cells and less likelihood of rupture. Also, it may mean higher concentration of "anti-freeze" in the cytoplasm. Maybe they were hardened off whereas yours was a sudden cold snap? And, is it potassium that helps with cold hardiness? as opposed to recent nitrogen feeding that makes for sensitive tissue...

I know you are a (pardon the pun) hardened grower and know what you are doing. These are just general thoughts.

Shmuel
[/quote]
Amazing plants, amazing form, amazing flowers...
Amazing cacti!
Shmuel

Previous

Return to General-Succulents