Winter list

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Neko Bazu

Winter list

Post by Neko Bazu »

I'm currently looking at which plants to bring in over winter (I have a small red and blue LED array presently, and can expand if needed), but am finding that clear, confirmed recommendations are about as easy to come across as leprechaun footprints!

So far, the only ones that I've found "definitely" need to be brought in are Uebelmannia pectinifera (even I know about these - they're already inside!) and Ferocactus latispinus. Beyond that, I presently think these are safe left outside, protected from frost:

Rebutia: muscula, miniscula, jujuyana
Astrophytum: capricorne, ornatum
Mammillaria: lauii, bombycina, spinosissima, bocasana
Echinocereus viridiflorus
Opuntia macrocentra (don't even need to ask!)

These, though, I'm floundering on somewhat:

Echinocereus: vierecki, scheerii
Thelocactus: bicolor, hexaedrophorus
Cleistocactus: icosagonus, strausii x denmoza
Parodia: magnifica, schwebsiana
Ferocactus glaucescens
Polaskia chichipe
Stenocactus multicostatus
Eriosyce villosa
Matucana polzii
Gymnocalycium monvillei

Any thoughts/advice on the above?

If it affects the judgement at all, they're in a mini-greenhouse against a south-facing wall, and I can get a winter outer for the greenhouse too if need be. I'd rather leave as many outside as I can because of space constraints, but if all else fails I'll just have to spend winter with an extra box or five in my room! :lol:
Sometimes, the world makes more sense when viewed upside-down...

Carpe cerevisiam, carpe dementum, carpe solum!
iann

Post by iann »

Do you have any means of heating your enclosure? There are lots of cacti that are fine to the 20F or so we would typically expect in winter but not the 15F or even 10F that might very occasionally come along.

I think you'll be fine with the Rebutias, Astrophytums, and E. viridiflorus. The Opuntia might be better in the garden! All those Mammillarias are among the less hardy in the genus and I wouldn't leave any nice ones out for the winter.

The other Echinocereus are considered some of the less hardy in the genus but still seem fine to about 20F. Same for some Cleistocactus although I don't know about the ones you list.

The Thelocactus, Stenocactus, and Matucana should all be fine if you can keep the temperature from dropping much below that 20F mark. The Eriosyce is potentially also hardy to 20F but I'd recommend keeping it warmer than that.

The Polaskia, Parodia magnifica, and Ferocactus glaucescens I'd suggest bringing inside. They can all theoretically take some frost, perhaps even to 20F, but they don't like it. At the very least you'll be looking at ugly marks on your lovely blue skins and plants that sulk all summer.
--ian
Neko Bazu

Post by Neko Bazu »

I think the best heating method available to me is an extra thermal-retention layer in the enclosure, and something small burning underneath - I used some tea light candles during the colder nights last winter, which generate a surprising amount of heat when there's three of them burning for 4-5hrs or so! I unfortunately don't have any means of getting an electric heater in there, as it'd require leaving a window open all night for the cable - and keeping myself and my rats warm is something of a priority :lol:

Looks like I'll definitely need a larger LED setup anyway! Would I be okay bringing the borderline ones in only for the colder nights and then putting them out again, or would the constant temperature changes confuse/affect them?

And thanks for the response :)

Neko Bazu

Post by Neko Bazu »

I now have those in that need to come in, and have an LED array and a moderately warm room for them - so now, the question is...

What do I do with them?

Last year, all my cacti were left outside over winter (being rebutia et al, I (thankfully correctly!) reasoned they'd manage okay) so this is my first time having them inside for winter. Since they're getting ample light, do they need water too, or should I leave them dry to still give them a 'winter' period? Are there any general guidelines I need to follow?