ID please

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
dargis

ID please

Post by dargis »

I bought this cactus in Union Square and over the summer I have watched it grow a little over an inch. I searched unsuccessfully for what kind of cactus it is. I was hoping someone would be able to help me out with this.Image
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

Those are some wicked thorns. Doesn't look much like a cactus from here. Looks like some manner of Euphorbia.
dargis

Post by dargis »

I was beginning to doubt it was a cactus for that reason. I've searched through various Euphorbia images and it does bear some resemblance...
Tony

Post by Tony »

Deffinatly a euphorbia,
Have a look at this site
http://www.euphorbia.de/jacobsen.htm
Click on the key and start in the O's :)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Mike

Post by Mike »

loooks just like one of mine - with no label. But I have wondered about E grandidens. no flower yet. Mike
dargis

Post by dargis »

Thanks for the help, Tony the website was very helpful I think I have narrowed it down to a couple possible matches. Mike, would you mind posting a picture of your Euphorbia?
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

Mike, with apologies, I'm pretty sure that's not E. grandidens.

Dargis, do you have a closeup pic of the spines? That would help a lot with the ID.

Thx,
-R
Tetrazole

Post by Tetrazole »

How about Euphorbia sekukuniensis? For comparison, I have posted a photo of my young E. seukuniensis plant below.

“Whenever people say, 'We mustn't be sentimental,' you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add, 'We must be realistic,' they mean they are going to make money out of it.”
― Brigid Brophy
dargis

Post by dargis »

Lancer99 here are a couple of close ups I hope this will suffice and thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Tetrazole, your euphorbia is very similar to mine, the new growth at the top looks similar to (the way that it sprouts).
Hari

Post by Hari »

If you have doubts about it not being a Euphorbia you should make a small nick with a knife somewhere on the stem. If you see the white sap oozing out you can be 99% sure that it is a Euphorbia.
jmzako

Post by jmzako »

I'm thinking Euphorbia trigona 8)
Not Of This World
lancer99

Post by lancer99 »

jmzako, I'm sure it's not E. trigona, which has a different growth pattern.

I think it's E. evansii. That's based on a number of factors: acuteness of the angles (ribs)(E. grandidens usually has chunkier stems), the length of the spines (E. grandidens' are usually shorter), and mottling on the stems, which are slightly twisted (both typical of E. evansii but not E. grandidens). The spine shields of E. grandidens also usually have an extra pair of prickles (miniature spines) and I don't see any in the pics (maybe it's just my bad eyes though!)

The reason I don't think it's E. sekukuniensis is that that species' spine shields very quickly grow together and become continuous, and I would think the plant pictured is large enough to show that characteristic.

I've gone on at length because my confidence level isn't very high -- all three species are very similar, and it could turn out to be any one of them. But E. evansii seems the most likely candidate, both from my reference books and pictures on euphorbia.de and aridlands.com.

-R