Tiny cactus Types

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
floyd

Tiny cactus Types

Post by floyd »

I am soliciting help again!! :dontknow: Is anyone out there growing cactus that remain very small when mature? Perhaps they are referred to as thimble cactus? I recently picked up a small planter which I thought would be interesting if I could pot it up with these types cactus. Yes, I have done some serching but have not had any luck finding any :(
Lets Grow Cacti!!
cruaux

Post by cruaux »

Essentially all the Turbinicarpus are pretty small
Many Pediocactus, and of course the liliputian Blossfeldia liliput{i}ana

(Links to Cactus-Art.biz's relevant pages)

Of course, it would be helpful to know just how small you are talking about. Many of the rebutias flower when quite small and cheery, and they'd be a lot easier for you to find than Blossfeldia :)
Jens

Post by Jens »

Try some Thelocephala -type Eriosyce or Frailea.
iann

Post by iann »

Very small usually equals tricky. Slow growth, fewer reserves against poor conditions, niche habits, very often fat taproots. Do you need something bullet-proof, or will touchy prima-donnas do?
--ian
cooky173

Post by cooky173 »

M. vetula subsp. gracilis flowers at about thumb sized, and 'branches'. The only problem I have with it is having too much.
CelticRose

Post by CelticRose »

cooky173 wrote:M. vetula subsp. gracilis flowers at about thumb sized, and 'branches'. The only problem I have with it is having too much.
Also, a common name for this one is thimble cactus.
My mind works in mysterious ways.

I'm all a-Twitter: http://twitter.com/RosCeilteach

My needlework blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com
floyd

Tiny Pot Group

Post by floyd »

Thanks all for your responses.
Cruaux.... I have taken the following photos of what I call a mini-pot-group to show the size of the pots that I would like to plant. As you can see there are five seperate pots but they are all attached as a group. Hope these photos help better understand the size(s) of the pots. I plan to drill holes for drainage if I can in fact plant them. Your opinions please, are the pots to small??

Lets Grow Cacti!!
floyd

Post by floyd »

iann, Since growing these is going to be new to me, I guess I would say the bullet-proof types?
Lets Grow Cacti!!
luddhus

Post by luddhus »

Just curious: How do you plan to get the root ball out of the pot (past the constriction)?
floyd

Post by floyd »

luddhus....Good question! My hope is that if the cactus is small enough, that it would not be a problem. I would probably not plant the smallest pot because it seems way to small to me. :wink:
Lets Grow Cacti!!
Sutremaine

Post by Sutremaine »

You could make a plastic tube and slot that in so the roots are constrained, but you'd have to find a way of giving it a bottom so you can winkle the whole thing out. The insides of the pots don't look glazed, so if any roots make it to the bottom they'll likely make a grab for it.

If I had this planter I would stick to vigorous offshoots or cuttings before trying to plant whole cacti. Pots that small are going to lose water very quickly even before plants are added.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Sutremaine wrote:You could make a plastic tube and slot that in so the roots are constrained, but you'd have to find a way of giving it a bottom so you can winkle the whole thing out. The insides of the pots don't look glazed, so if any roots make it to the bottom they'll likely make a grab for it.

If I had this planter I would stick to vigorous offshoots or cuttings before trying to plant whole cacti. Pots that small are going to lose water very quickly even before plants are added.
Yup. I agree. That happened to a Lantana that I had in a pot that was unglazed. The roots grew through the hole in the bottom of the pot and choked it off, almost to death, but I saved it. Same thing happened to my rosemary plant, but that one I failed to notice the standing water and it yellowed and died from massive rootrot.
It stunk so bad...ick!~
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
floyd

Post by floyd »

Sutremaine...I really like your idea about planting cuttings instead of the whole cactus plant. :thumbup: I also grow various sempervivum and that would work for them as well. This goes to show that this forum is full of ideas from members and I for one have benefited greatly since I started the cactus hobby.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions/comments
Lets Grow Cacti!!
iann

Post by iann »

For the tiny pots, try an Avonia quinaria. Tiny caudex, even smaller roots. A 1" pot can handle a plant for several years and a 2" pot is enough for a long time, but they are too small for almost any cactus.

Lots of choices or the "bigger" pots. You can get root balls out of pots with necks, but you need a knife :P Or you break the pot.
--ian