Problems with an Opuntia

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
anansi

Problems with an Opuntia

Post by anansi »

Hi, I have an Opuntia that was grown from a cutting of a very mature cactus (30+ years old). The cutting did well for the first year but I have moved to a place that has very little indoor light. It is about 1.5 feet tall but it is very thin. It has very few spines. I have recently tried to move it outdoors for additional light (I'm in Mississippi) but being outside causes it to droop. The temp. today was about 85 F. It was not very humid.

I am very concerned about this cactus. It has great sentimental value (it has passed from my grandmother to my father, both of whom have passed-- and I have a cutting from that plant--couldn't move the whole plant as it is over 6ft tall and weighs more than I do). What can I do to reinvigorate this plant? Thanks in advance for any help.
king_hedes

Post by king_hedes »

its probably shock from having a little light to having a lot i would suggest to put it in the shade some were till it thickens up then put it in the sun
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

sounds like it went for having no light or very little to way too much. I would suggest moving it to shade and gradually re-adjusting it to sunlight a little bit every day til it starts to right itself.

Whatever you do....MOVE it out of the light before it gets damaged even more.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

I personally need to see a picture of this one before offering my 2 cents.
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Andy_CT wrote:I personally need to see a picture of this one before offering my 2 cents.
I agree, a picture is almost a must. Besides, I want to see this 6ft opuntia.
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
Peterthecactusguy

The problem cacti is a cutting from the 6 footer if I read the post right.

I have a feeling its going to be etiolated but I might be a newbie and be wrong. A pic would definitely help.
anansi

Post by anansi »

I moved it out of the sun as soon as I noticed the drooping. I will work on acclimating it to outside sunlight. I'll post a picture as soon as I can. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the big 6ft parent. Its at my father's old house (where my sister is probably neglecting it) which is about 800 miles away . . . It was my grandmothers cactus. When she died 22 years ago my dad took it. When he passed last year I took a cutting from the plant. I couldn't take the whole thing as that would have required moving it from WV to Los Angeles.

Thanks for the help.
Peterthecactusguy

ok. well once you get a pic we can probably better ID the problem... I have a feeling I know what is wrong with it, but I am not sure now.. :)