Eriosyce in need of ID

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
daiv
Site Admin

Eriosyce in need of ID

Post by daiv »

These were taken at the HGB conservatory:

Plant 1

Plant 2

And here is an E. villosa also from there just for fun:

All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

That first one looks Copiapoa esque. But I can see the accession number. Google came up empty so maybe an email to John or Karen at the HBG will get you the name.

The other looks familiar, as does the flower but I can't place it.

Edit: E. crispa? Maybe var. carrizalensis?
Jens

Post by Jens »

The first one looks like Eriosyce heinrichiana
The second one could be pygmaea (or calderana as RM Ferryman would say). It has the flower of E. taltalensis v. pygmaea and seems to have been fed quite well.Image
Mike

Post by Mike »

well, the first one is Neochilenea carrizalensis, referred to Erioscye crispa var carrizalenis by Katterman in his book, and to eriosysyzoides atroviridis by NCL. Nice flower :D

Mike
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hey Mike,
I didn't think about the idea that you have taken many pics at the HBG too and likely got the same plant. Did you take pics of the other one too?

Daiv
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I think Jens might be right on E. calderana, but not ssp. pygmaea, but rather pilispina when listed under E. taltalensis.

Daiv
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Daiv,

I don't seem to have theother one, tho it looks familiar. I think this is one next to it, labelled pygmaea. taken april 08.
Jens

Post by Jens »

[quote="Mike"]well, the first one is Neochilenea carrizalensis, referred to Erioscye crispa var carrizalenis by Katterman in his book, and to eriosysyzoides atroviridis by NCL. Nice flower :D

What a beauty! The yellowish flower colour might be not really typical though.
Has anyone got any crispa (eriosycoides) species that also have a yellowish tinge to it?
Mike

Post by Mike »

The New Cactus Lexicon has crispa and eriosyzoides as separate species. Says crispa is whitish with red midstripe, pcture matches. Eriosyzoides it says pale brownish, and ssp atroviridis whisish or yellowish red. Pcs doen't show much brown, yellow striped or brown red striped.

Here is one I have as eriozyzoides
Jens

Post by Jens »

Here is a picture of Eriosyce crispa ssp. atroviridis v. atroviridis FK 65-77(Kattermann)or E. eriosycoides ssp. atroviridis (New Cactus Lexicon). I think they mix up the what Kattermann namend crispa v. atroviridis and kunzei v. transitensis. I have never been to chile but Kattermann devides the two species by the altitude they grow, with crispa species being the lowland plants and kunzei v. transitensis being the higher altitude ones with transition from one to the other at about 800 m obove sea level.
Jens

Post by Jens »

This is another crispa (Kattermann)species.
ImageE. crispa ssp. atroviridis v. huascensis.
With short spines and 1 central spine up to 15 mm long. Body is described as subglobular.
Last edited by Jens on Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jens

Post by Jens »

And crispa ssp. crispa (Katt.).
It has thin, wavy, interlacing black spines
Jens

Post by Jens »

Eriosyce crispa ssp. atroviridis v. carrizalensis (E. eriosyzoides ssp. atroviridis NCL) with a purpelish black body color, more ribs and longer spines than the v. huascensis.Image
Too bad I don´t have a kunzei v. transitensis that is big enough to take a picture of.
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Here is what I have as E. crispa v. carrizalensis.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi

First a question re Katterman numbering. Plants I have are like Jen's systmen, Ihave one as 65-77 as he does, tho quite differnt. But in his book, he uses a different system, crisp picture is just FK-78, atroviridis pic is FK-65. Does anyone know or understand the difference.

Here is my crispa FK 65-77 from Mesa Gardens, very different than Jens.

And I have had two like yours Darryl, both labelled hausensis, one from Miles and one from C&J.
Miles hadyellow flower

CJ has purplish

According to the Katterman book, his key distinguishes var huas as 10-12 ribs, spines to 1.5cm while carrizalensis is 15 ribs, spines to 2.5cm.

Mike