Hardy Gardening

Discuss hardy cacti grown outside all year.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well done garden! Very tasteful layout and incredible plants. The E. polycephalus really got my attention as well. I like the rock-work too. Strange, yet natural-looking - fitting for a cactus garden.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Tony

Post by Tony »

Sorry about all the pics? :? Are you kidding? We want more! :)

Wow great garden! 8)
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

iann wrote:I'm surprised at the Echinocactus there, didn't think it was quite zone 5b material :)
Its from the northern populations(salv.),and I cover it during the winter with a piece of plastic with a vent hole. I would not be suprized if it would live through a winter without it, but for the cost I don't want to take a chance. :D
DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

Thanks for all the nice comments. :D
DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

here is some older pics

A barrel I had for a few years, pays to keep the snow off them :wink: Rotted right were the snow ways one the one side.
DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

just a couple more
no longer with me :cry:
Tony

Post by Tony »

Nice! I like the mix. :)
To bad about the echinocactus. :(
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Beautiful garden!
DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

Thanks for the nice coments. :D
peterb

Post by peterb »

Great garden, fantastic plants and wonderful pictures. Great job keeping the polycephalus going in your area! Just curious on your source for plants. I used to work at High Country Gardens and some of your plants look familiar. :-) I especially also appreciate the Echinocereus X roetteri.

keep those pics comin!

peterb
Zone 9
DesertZone

Post by DesertZone »

peterb wrote:Great garden, fantastic plants and wonderful pictures. Great job keeping the polycephalus going in your area! Just curious on your source for plants. I used to work at High Country Gardens and some of your plants look familiar. :-) I especially also appreciate the Echinocereus X roetteri.

keep those pics comin!

peterb
Yes, some have come from H.C.G. like the Echinocereus X roetteri, other like the polycephalus was from a salvage sale from southern Nevada. And a few like all the y.brevifolia and most of the other yuccas I have grown from seeds.
Oh and I can't forget about the plants I get from LaMar (plantasia cactus gardens).

The polycephalus are very hardy from the Northern part of their range, but need to be kept very dry in the winter/very good drainage. If we did not get all this snow in the winter here I bet it would be fine without the plastic cover in the winter. All it has is a thin sheet of plastic protecting it and it has been through 3 winter with below zero weather, but so did my ferocactus as long as it was covered.
P.S. I know most people here know about good drainage and to keep plants dry in winter. :lol: :wink: