Crassula ID.

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Tony

Crassula ID.

Post by Tony »

Anyone know this little one?
Rosetts are aprox. 1 inch (25mm)
Last edited by Tony on Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
hablu

Post by hablu »

I think it is C. capitella (maybe thirsiflora)
greets Harry
Rosemarie

Post by Rosemarie »

Tony, I have this plant as well. Sigh! It has given me lots of grief trying to figure out its true identity. :shock:

Many folks call it Crassula capitella ssp. thyrsiflora (as Harry said), but there is another Crassula in much larger form -without the spots- called the same. An example would be Crassula 'Campfire' which comes from C. capitella. Some call one the 'large form' & the other the 'small form'.

I think it should belong in the Crassula exilis group, similar to Crassula exilis ssp picturata. :P But, what do I know? :lol:

For the most part, though, you will find pix online like your plant named Crassula capitella ssp. thyrsiflora.
Rosemarie
Mike

Post by Mike »

Mine from Home Depot, was labelled picturatus, seems correct to me, exilis ssp picturatus. Mike
Tony

Post by Tony »

Thanks Harry, Rosemarie and mike, I am very familiar with the one of which you speak Rosemarie. I cant believe these could even be considered the same plant, these things look nothing alike. :lol:
But what do I know. :laughing6:
I like Crassula exilis ssp picturata
Last edited by Tony on Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony
Rosemarie

Post by Rosemarie »

Okay...back again...after some research (I think I've done before, but forgot to record :roll: somewhere I could find!)

Awhile back I photographed these 3 plants.
Click for larger view~

The one on the right came tagged as Crassula picturata (also had St. Andrew's Cross as a common name-which I doubt). I knew it was not C. picturata (or C. exilis ssp. picturata). The one in the back is Crassula capitella ssp. thyrsiflora, as in Tony's pic. The one on the left is Crassula 'Campfire' (either C. subacaulis or erosula cultivar). Here's what that one looks like today: (just thought I'd share) :D

I believe your plant and mine are Crassula 'Pagoda Village'. Some list it as Crassula capitella 'Pagoda Village'. It is considered a compact form of C. capitella ssp. thyrsiflora.

Yours is definitely not C. picturata which does not stack the same way. :P See here for an example:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/succulentisima/429408165/

Hope this helps! NOW...I'm going to go write this down...and make some TAGS! :P
Rosemarie
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

I'm away from home and don't have my Crowley book here, but I think he is fairly certain that all of these are forms of C. capitella. I have a name of v. Mini Towers on my little one. Not as cute as Tony's with the spots. Or maybe I just haven't looked close enough.
Buck Hemenway
Mike

Post by Mike »

well, it is certainly interesting, and perhpas hard to tell without flowers. based on Rowely picturs, exilis is more mound forming, while capitella (which is very variable) is less tidy.

Here is my "picturatus' before I repotted it and almost killed it. I find I have a lot of problems repotting he Home Depot ones, they seem to go into shock swithcing from peat or whatever to some pumice. They are almost rootbound in the HD mix, maybe I shoud just cut if off. Has anyone had better luck?

I have various plants ID as capitella. Some are all red, some all green some red upper leafs and green underneath. None, other than the picturatus , are green on top, red underside of leafs. Rowley says the "the spotted leaves, usually red underneath, are a dead giveaway" for picturatus.

Rosemary, I am not as sure as you that yours isn't picturatus also. I can't see all that well, and m not familiar with Village Pagoda. But the flwoer is consistet with the flwoer of exilis in Rowley and not captitella. And it has a low habit, unlike the taller plants that are capitella.

and the campfire is bequtiful.

Here are three inflorecsnces from some of my capitella. they had pretty long inflorescenses, not short like the pictures in Rowley for exilis.
hablu

Post by hablu »

Hi,here's an article that may help.
Harry

http://www.crassulaceae.net/index.php?o ... s&Itemid=5
Tony

Post by Tony »

I do like a good campfire. 8)
well I dont think its Crassula 'Pagoda Village' as the inflo was much longer than the one's in your image Rosemarie, it is very simular to the one in the center of mike's comparison image, I dont have a pic of it though.
I am sure that ours are exactly the same Mike consideing where it came from. Mine has been growing in the shade of a tree, so it looks a bit different.
Im still a bit unsure however, I wouldnt trust a tag from Altmans if my life depended on it! :P
Thanks for the link Harry, is certinly adds to my knowledge/confusion. :lol:
My plant does look like the plant in the 3rd,4th and 5th images from the end of that link.

Tony
Tony

Post by Tony »

Well what ever it is it looks drasticaly different now only two months older and in full bloom. 8)
ImageImage

Tony
hablu

Post by hablu »

Now the hard part comes: to make it a decent and compact plant again. :D
Harry
Tony

Post by Tony »

I doubt this helps or changes any opinions on the ID's, but just thought Id share both blooming now at the same time. :)

Tony
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

I think that it's a sedum now. That doesn't look like a crassula bloom.
Buck Hemenway
Tony

Post by Tony »

:dontknow: :lol:

Tony