Help!! Opuntia pad...

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
CactusBea

Help!! Opuntia pad...

Post by CactusBea »

So I want to grow on a opuntia velutina pad for a food source to my tortoise (see my other thread for pics). It's end seems to be 'scarred' over, or just basically no fresh flesh is showing at the break off point.
I have a pot ready to put it into, but just wandered, do you just put it in there and roots will form, or do you have to soak it in water or what?
As you can tell, I really don't have a clue so any help is appreciated. Thanks
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

Just put it in and roots will form :D Most people bury the bottom 1/3 of the pad into the soil.
CactusBea

Post by CactusBea »

Thanks, have done.
Also, its an opuntia velutina, does anyone know the growth rate of it, or when more pads might start growing off it?

:)
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

I'd would say by the time the pad takes root and gets established you will see some signs of grow possibly fairly soon afterwards. :wink:
Bill

If it sticks ya or pokes ya, I like it
GardenBed

Re: Help!! Opuntia pad...

Post by GardenBed »

CactusBea wrote:So I want to grow on a opuntia velutina pad for a food source to my tortoise (see my other thread for pics). It's end seems to be 'scarred' over, or just basically no fresh flesh is showing at the break off point.
I have a pot ready to put it into, but just wandered, do you just put it in there and roots will form, or do you have to soak it in water or what?
As you can tell, I really don't have a clue so any help is appreciated. Thanks
Ops. are VERY hardy, and after you start, it's hard to get rid of them :lol:

You should just stick it in the soil, and then roots will form.
mjazz

Post by mjazz »

I don't know if your tortoise requires just that particular prickly pear or any kind would do, but the Eastern Prickly Pear, O.Humifusa, would grow outside in your climate. It can take the rain and cold. 8)