L. Arachnacantha X A. Glaucum UPDATED 6/23/09 PIC

Create seed of your own
*Barracuda_52*

L. Arachnacantha X A. Glaucum UPDATED 6/23/09 PIC

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Ok guys was just wondering if these 2 are self fertile or if by me teasing them with diffrent pollin from each other caused them to self polinate? I crossed Lobivia Arachnacantha with Acanthocalycium Glaucum, they both took the L. Arachnacantha has one fruit as it only had one flower at the time to use and the A. Glaucum has 2 fruits as it had 3 flowers at the time, now are these gona be hybrids or normal? I guess i wont know till i sow the seeds, at this time just waiting on the fruits to let me know when its time to pick and get the seeds out. :D I will post up when i get the seeds and get um sowed and germinated. Cant wait to see how this turns out.. :P
Last edited by *Barracuda_52* on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A rescue dog is never to old to learn to be a real dog. Image
iann

Post by iann »

Both these species are now called Echinopsis. One of the reasons is that the various Lobivias, Chamaecereus, Acanthocalciums, etc, cross with eachother very readily. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you have created hybrids. The proof will be in the pudding, grow them and see if they do anything odd. Self-pollinated seedlings will be very uniform and similar to the parent, crosses are usually much more variable even at an early age.
--ian
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Thanks Iann, just what i was hoping to hear. Thanks for the info, i will let everyone know the outcome of this cross.. :wink: :D
Loph

Post by Loph »

all the time is have tried to self polliante E. arachnacantha it has failed...many hundreds of times so i am leaning towards not being self fertile :D
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Update on this cross, ok well one of the fruits on the A. Glaucum has dried and split open, so when i brung it in to open it up and collect the seeds WOW WAS I SUPRISED!! :shock: :shock: It has 2 diffrent colored seeds in it, some are red and some are black. :shock: Now is that the way hybrid seeds are or are each color represented of the parent plant used for this cross? :roll: Its still a tiny bit gooy in the middle of the fruit so im gona let that air dry befour carefully getting the seeds out of it, the seeds them selfs are hard as a few fell out when opened it up.
I cant wait to see what the seeds in the Lobivia Arachnacantha look like, that fruit is almost dry. Wonder if they will be both red and black as well. :P
Tony

Post by Tony »

I guessin the red ones are no good and the black ones are viable, put them in water and see if they float.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Tony wrote:I guessin the red ones are no good and the black ones are viable, put them in water and see if they float.
Tony is that the way to tell if there viable or not, the ones that float are no good??

Will do that tomarrow and see what happens, will report back. :wink:
Loph

Post by Loph »

red = not fully developed. common in straight crosses and self fertilization as well 8)
iann

Post by iann »

Or possibly the red ones are not fully developed because they aren't ripe yet. Either way, it sounds like you have lots of black ones anyway. The seed produced from hybridisation all looks like normal seed of the mother plant, only the seedlings themselves are hybrid.

You can try floating your seed, its a commonly touted test for viability. I don't know if there really is any correlation, but I can tell you that plenty of viable seed floats. Empty seeds do tend to be lighter so maybe they never sink.
--ian
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

8) Thanks guys, i learn alot from you all and i apreciate that. :wink:
Ok so this is what im gona do, Iann you have given me a idea, im just gona sow them the way they are and see what happens without the float test, yes i did get more black seeds than i did red ones, whats wierd is the fruit was dry/brown and split open on one side to expose some seeds and when i went to get the fruit off the mother it just sorta fell when i touched it so was it ready for collection or not seeing how the red seeds were not fully developed? :roll:
Im gona count how many black seeds i have and how many red ones, im gona sow them seperately color wise and we shall see what germinates and what dont. :wink: I will report back when i have germination. :D
*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

Ok sowed all the seeds today, i seprated the reds from the blacks but whats wierd is the blacks are now a grayish color :shock: I put the red seeds all 77 of them in one pot and the grayish black ones all 132 in one pot, wonder why the black seeds are a grayish color? Will report if i get any germination.
Sowed on 6/23/09

*Barracuda_52*

Post by *Barracuda_52* »

:oops: :oops: Wow i just now noticed i had wrote the wrong names on those pots, so i had to redo it with marker and a paper "L. Arachnacantha X A. Glaucum" anyways im happy to report the blackish gray seeds have germinated WOOT!! Will take pics in few days and post um up in the grown from seed section, im gona keep on waitting on the red seeds and see what happens, if nothing within the next week then for sure they were duds.. :P Yeah i know what you guys are all thinkin "see we told you so" but hey why not give it a try anyways.. LOL!!!! :D
Loph

Post by Loph »

update?