What is the largest viable cutting from a Cereus peruvianus?

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
Jim_jimjim

What is the largest viable cutting from a Cereus peruvianus?

Post by Jim_jimjim »

I have a very old (50+years) very large (30+ feet) cactus which has been id'd as a Cereus peruvianus. It has to go due to wall/sidewalk damage it is causing to my neighbors property. :( I would really appreciate any advice on how to save as much of it as possible.

1= Will a VERY large cutting root the same way a smaller one would, if I can support it somehow?

2=How large is TOO large. I have quite a few 15+ foot pieces with multiple arms which I can remove in one piece.

I live in the Los Angeles area, so weather is not a problem. I have plenty of space for them in the yard once they are rooted, I'm just not sure where to start.

JimImage
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Wow, that's a really old plant! :shock: Unfortunetly, old cuttings are hard to root and something that old could be impossible to root. A way I recommend is to cut all the branches you can root, and transplant that big stump to new location. It will eventually grow new branches and can be enjoyed like before.
John C

Post by John C »

What a nice plant! :shock: 8)
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

You can sell the extra branches on ebay. :D
Jim_jimjim

Post by Jim_jimjim »

Transplant the stump? Hmmmmmmmmmm. Never even thought of that. The root system is breaking apart a cinder block wall and lifting a sidewalk, so that could be a real project. Do you know if it would re-root if it was cut out? Or would we need to save as much of the root system as possible?
John C

Post by John C »

Saguaro123 wrote:You can sell the extra branches on ebay. :D
Yep! You can trade some too. :wink:
"Where the West begins"
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Jim_jimjim wrote:Transplant the stump? Hmmmmmmmmmm. Never even thought of that. The root system is breaking apart a cinder block wall and lifting a sidewalk, so that could be a real project. Do you know if it would re-root if it was cut out? Or would we need to save as much of the root system as possible?
Yes it will reroot. When they save Saguaros, they cut out all the roots and they do fine. Saving much of the root system is recommended but if you can't get all of it out, then we just have to get out whatever we can. However, that;s a nice strong specimen. I think it's strong enough to do it's own things so you don't have to worry much about it.
kevin63129

Post by kevin63129 »

Man,that plant is awesome!I hope you have great success with it.
Addicted to crackti !
Loph

Post by Loph »

i agree, a true cutting from the base might not root well. but if you dig down a bit and get a good chunk of the main roots, it should root fine.

if it were me i would dig about 2-3 feet on either side of that base and go down as far as you can, say at least 3 feet. then use a saw and cut the roots trying to keep as many as you can intact.

once cut and puller out, let the roots dry in open air for week or 3 :)

after that replant with really good support.

how you are going to pull such a massive cactus, i am nut sure. a crane, or even pulleys and a good frame will help but be pricey. maybe you can hire a landscaping company or someone with a small crane to pull it out when you cut and lay it down (carefully) when your done? then again later on when you want to plant it?

no matter what it is not going to be easy, and will probably cost some $.
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
dustin0352

Post by dustin0352 »

Tell the neighbor to move the wall.lol the cactus was there first :lol: That is an amazing plant and a shame to have to cut it up and transplant it. Shortining the branches will help with the transplant, will also give you more cacti, as well as good trading! Wish you good luck in what ever approach you take!
John C

Post by John C »

dustin0352 wrote:Tell the neighbor to move the wall.lol the cactus was there first :lol:
:lol: Yep! That's a good idea. But I don't think the neighbor would like that approach.
"Where the West begins"
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I'm going to suggest yet a different approach.

I've easily rooted 6 foot sections of C. peruvianus and while smaller cuttings do tend to root more easily, I think you should be able to root long cutting from that without too much difficulty. One nice thing is you have plenty of chances. When you cut that up, you can stack the pieces like logs and keep them for a year or more. Once you get as many new plants rooted as you want, toss the rest or give it away if you can find a taker.

I don't know if you have to remove that stump anyway, but that would one job that I would not want to even think about. Digging out a plant that size in a manner that doesn't destroy it would be absolutely murderous! Especially with a wall only a few inches away. Forget it! You need a stump grinder.

Even if you had to root a 6 foot section, it will grow very fast.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
GardenBed

Post by GardenBed »

daiv wrote:I'm going to suggest yet a different approach.

I've easily rooted 6 foot sections of C. peruvianus and while smaller cuttings do tend to root more easily, I think you should be able to root long cutting from that without too much difficulty. One nice thing is you have plenty of chances. When you cut that up, you can stack the pieces like logs and keep them for a year or more. Once you get as many new plants rooted as you want, toss the rest or give it away if you can find a taker.

I don't know if you have to remove that stump anyway, but that would one job that I would not want to even think about. Digging out a plant that size in a manner that doesn't destroy it would be absolutely murderous! Especially with a wall only a few inches away. Forget it! You need a stump grinder.

Even if you had to root a 6 foot section, it will grow very fast.
Yes, I agree, moving the whole plant would be very monumental. Also, if you have extra branches that are leftover / too much, you can try and sell them locally through yard sales or craiglist.