Why do you think Cacti are largerly ignored....

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
hahahaweee

Post by hahahaweee »

i also think that they shy away from some of the nicer things about cacti other than not having to water often. what about not having to prune constantly? or mulch or the various other tasks more finicky plants need. also, i think cacti can be pretty romantic... i gave a girlfriend one of my more impressive flowers and said something along the lines of "it lasts only a day and its all for you" roses can't compete with that... too darn common.
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

If you were to talk about a romantic song, then no. [-X cacti would be ruled out. Like I said in the other posts "Cacti aren't musical enough", that is because they are very stiff and don't move along with the wind to create a musical feeling. All cacti do are just stand there, straight up and tall. Romantic music are very emotional and goes along with nature, like I said about the trees, they blow with the wind to create a musical feeling which can feel romantic and emotional, depending on how you interpret it.
hahahaweee

Post by hahahaweee »

i could see that but i'm not entirely sure i i agree. i like how solid they are, there's a certain feeling of permanence that they convey that i find quite appealing. i never feel like they're going to snap in the wind.
Tom2643

Post by Tom2643 »

hahahaweee wrote:i also think that they shy away from some of the nicer things about cacti other than not having to water often. what about not having to prune constantly?
but oh man... when you do have to prune... ouch!
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Saguaro123 wrote:If you were to talk about a romantic song, then no.
Anybody remember where that U Tube clip is?
Buck Hemenway
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

What Youtube clip?
Tom2643

Post by Tom2643 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh8eHDN9MK0 this clip? Or at least something similar?
hahahaweee

Post by hahahaweee »

that's amazing...
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Did you know what's weird? I was just outside making some music with my Ferocactus Rectispinus, and when I logged in, the video came back. :lol:
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

By the way Tom, did you catch that bit on the morning news about the Garden show or whatever down your way?

They had someone from Bachmans on there with a bunch of cacti and bromeliads. Of course it got my attention only to leave me shaking my head when the guy started talking about the "cactus" that puts up a great big tall flower stalk and then dies after blooming. - Not once did the name "agave" come up only "cactus". :roll:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Tom2643

Post by Tom2643 »

Why yes Daiv, it's funny you mention that. I was just there with my mother today! I'll start a separate post in cacti places about it.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Cool! It sounded like they just stuck the dead agave flower stalks in the mix for looks.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Tom2643

Post by Tom2643 »

post is up! Yeah, that's basically what they did, but it had a nice effect. But hey, the cacti weren't being ignored! (to keep this post relevant... :oops: )
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

daiv wrote:It sounded like they just stuck the dead agave flower stalks in the mix for looks.
You mean the dead 'cactus flowers' :lol: :roll:
Tom2643

Post by Tom2643 »

I guess I'm just glad they didn't hot-glue straw flowers on all of them