John's 2009 Topic

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
hob

Post by hob »

daiv wrote:Another great example of why everyone should be part of their local club if there is one.
my local club is too far away to go to :(

but i do take time off work to attend and enter their annual show :D
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
peter

Post by peter »

Nice haul! Congrats John! :)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I hear you Hob. We don't even have one in MN and if we did, I'm sure it would be 2 hrs anyway in the cities anyway. :?

We're members of the Minnesota Herp society and don't make meetings that often just because it is such a long drive. Fuel prices are down now, but so are incomes - so the urge to stay home is strong! :roll:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
John C

Post by John C »

I have been working on the garden lately. My garden wasn't raised all that much and did not drain and dry fast enough. So....

...Yesterday I took all of the gravel off the top, and then I went to a stone, gravel, sand, dirt, mulch, etc place. They sell their stones and such to a lot of landscaping companies around here. They have rows and rows of stones and other things. I actually got the garden boarder there. I found some Crushed Pink Granite! Yay!!! So I have added much more ingredients to my mix that make it much better at draining and it dries VERY quickly :D While my previous mix was still very wet my new mix was half-way dry! :D :D :D In just a few hours too!!!

Any how. Let's get to the pics.

Last year...

Now! :D

It's hard to tell from the pics but it was raised a very large amount. Quite a few inches.

The Opuntia went dormant over the winter and is now growing like crazy! 8) The 2 pads in my garden have a total of 4 new pads growing.

The yuccas I got are starting to grow and, they are starting to root too!

Not sure how this one is doing though. Hasn't done much of anything. :?

The Texas Sage started dying after we moved it from one of our backyard gardens to this one, but it is starting to come back! :)

Now time to get more plants for it!

Enjoy!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
John C

Post by John C »

I guess this is technically my first flower of the year. :?

Very small Mamm. Karwinskiana flower. I didn't really expect this to flower. :shock: It is still on my windowsill! :shock: I've been meaning to repot it and bring it outside but it just flowered on the windowsill!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: I think it has gone crazy! :roll:

This old man's cactus was chewed up by my cat a while back, I pushed it off to the corner and forgot about it, It looked like it was dying. Well I just happened to notice it was growing a pup! :shock:

And finally a Rhipsalis that I won in the raffle at the FWCSS meeting a month ago.

"Where the West begins"
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

John, the outdoor bed looks great! I like your choice of natural materials and the irregular shape. I'm sure your cacti will be happy in there!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Moonbeam

Post by Moonbeam »

Good job John C. That's the way we SHOULD do it one day. Our plan is to start with a small sized garden and greenhouse...then expand as it gets filled up.
floyd

Post by floyd »

John that is nice looking garden and plants seem to like it too. Here it is still to cold for the cacti to "wake up" and I am anxious to see how they have made it through winter.
Lets Grow Cacti!!
crake

Post by crake »

Hi John! You posted on my little thready thing so i figure the least i could do is grace yours!

OUT-flippin-STANDING BIRD, the cacti are ok too... :wink:

What was the cactus with the art-deco looking protrusions? It's one of the last of the second set of pics, right above "...and a succulent too"? Whatever it is, it does look like some unknown genius sculptors work. You know, the person who dies dirt poor then the masses discover the art some decades later... Those types...

Nice cacti in general, wish i had the space for something like that...
John C

Post by John C »

crake wrote:Hi John! You posted on my little thready thing so i figure the least i could do is grace yours!

OUT-flippin-STANDING BIRD, the cacti are ok too... :wink:

What was the cactus with the art-deco looking protrusions? It's one of the last of the second set of pics, right above "...and a succulent too"? Whatever it is, it does look like some unknown genius sculptors work. You know, the person who dies dirt poor then the masses discover the art some decades later... Those types...

Nice cacti in general, wish i had the space for something like that...
Thank you!

This one?

It is a Tephrocactus Articulatus
"Where the West begins"
John C

Post by John C »

Moonbeam wrote:Good job John C. That's the way we SHOULD do it one day. Our plan is to start with a small sized garden and greenhouse...then expand as it gets filled up.
Talking about a small greenhouse.

I have created this mini greenhouse like thing temporarily(to protect my plants from the rain and such). It is temporary until I build a frame and make a better mini greenhouse thing. It is also great for acclimating my plants to the sun again. 8) I know, It looks cheap, but hey, it works for now! :lol:

Don't lean against this part! :shock:

A look inside.

"Where the West begins"
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

That's a great idea John. :thumbright: Makes me think that I should build something like that until I actually get a greenhouse. :wink:
TimN

Post by TimN »

Those beds look awesome! Nice job!
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
John C

Post by John C »

Thanks everyone! 8)
"Where the West begins"
Lewis_cacti

Post by Lewis_cacti »

i just browsed through this thread.
Looks good John. :)

I think that your 'crazy' Mamm with the tiny flower is actually M.columbiana. :)

p.s. you need more astros and a loph or two:wink: :lol: :roll: