Utah Echinocereus engelmannii

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
ospreynn

Utah Echinocereus engelmannii

Post by ospreynn »

Hi guys,

First post with pics here. I have a cactus that I would like to ID if possible. I took the pic back in July on a road trip to Las Vegas. I wonder if it is var purpureus or chrysocentrus. I have to decrease the quality of the pic, so it may be hard to know. Any ideas? More pics of different species to follow.
20170701_195421.jpg
20170701_195421.jpg (181.99 KiB) Viewed 2946 times
mmcavall

Re: Utah Echinocereus engelmannii

Post by mmcavall »

Sorry I can't help you but it is a nice picture of a plant in it's habitat. Hope someone ID it for you/us.
ospreynn

Post by ospreynn »

Thanks, glad you like the pic....... it's surprising that there is 75 views to this thread, but this is the first comment. I wonder if it is worth posting more photos. I'm not a collector (I don't have the time, climate or room to grow them), but I really enjoy seeing them in their habitat!!

Is it mostly collector in this forum? Is this the right place to post them?
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

Yes, this is the right place to post them. We all enjoy looking at cacti in both habitant and cultivation. A definite identification can sometimes be hard to determine even in the best of circumstances. Variation, growing conditions from region to region, stress, and more can produce markable differences even within a species. Not to mention things like hybridization and translocation. Sometimes you just have to enjoy a cactus for just being a cactus. Nice picture by the way.