Northern CA cacti?

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
BrandonH

Northern CA cacti?

Post by BrandonH »

Hello ,

I visit northern CA near Sacramento county once in a while and I was just wondering is there any wild cacti that call it home?
I see huge aloes all the time and large prickly pars but i believe these are plants that have owners since they are always near houses.
I explore a lot of parks and hiking trails there and have not seen a wild cactus.
Tho that means nothing since it took me servel trips over course of 10 years to find out their are wild scorpions there lol
Brandon
keith

Re: Northern CA cacti?

Post by keith »

you can find Dudleyas there on any shear rock face like along the American River in Folsom. cactus ? I don't know ??
vlani

Post by vlani »

No wild cactus grow in Central Cali. San Luis Obispo/Bakersfield is the Northern distribution limit along Central Valley.

North of that line there is one known population of Opuntia fragilis N of Mnt Shasta, close to Oregon border. The closest to Sacramento cacti are in Nevada - Micropuntia pulchella is reported from some spots just NE of Tahoe, and from around Fallon
BrandonH

Post by BrandonH »

Thanks for the posts I can't say that I ever seen any Dudleyas in the wild there at Folsom but I was not really looking for them. So that will be something to keep a eye out for there next time.

Dang I was hoping that there was wild cacti in that area. I thought I was going to get to photo my first wild cacti.I guess that will have to wait for a different trip. It sure feels hot enough for them there I am a little shocked there is not wild cacti in that area.
Brandon
vlani

Post by vlani »

At least there are mushrooms :)
BrandonH

Post by BrandonH »

But we have those here!! :) although I couldn't tell you their names other then one is called the "Destroying Angels". I do love photographing mushrooms there is so many types , sizes , shapes and colors. There is one here that is odd looking it has almost like a vine like stem with a small bell but it hangs down from the top. If I remember right the stem also has a skirt. Oddly enough I seen mushrooms in straight sun in ca in open parks instead of damp forest like I normally see them in. Do you think that all of the aloes and prickly pars being planted in sac county can become wild and spread? They always have fruits on them

mushroom

CA cacti
Brandon