Pediocactus peeblesianus fickeisenii survey

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
peterb

Pediocactus peeblesianus fickeisenii survey

Post by peterb »

Volunteered some time earlier this week to do a few days of an extensive survey of P. peeblesianus fickeisenii at three different sites. The professional botanist who was conducting the survey was mapping and measuring at least 30 plants at each locale, interested in particular in multivariate analysis of a statistically significant sample of a few somewhat geographically separated forms. My role was just to walk the habitat for hours on end, searching for plants, and when I found one, marking the locale with a survey stake and recording the gps. It took three of us three full work days to find a total of about 120 ficks at three locales within a 50 mile radius. The botanist then would collect measurements on 7 data points for each plant, with 5 different measurements, using a very nice set of digital calipers accurate to within microns. I forget what all the data categories were, but single items like stem diameter, stem height, then 5 samples of each regarding central spine number per areole, central spine length, central spine width, curvature, radial number, radial length and width, tubercle height, etc. So, basically, about 25 data points per plant.

We visited plants on private land and public land in sites that have been compromised somehow or collected out, etc.

One locale featured plants that have been called 'menzelii' and another, plants that have been called 'maianus.'

It was a great way to spend three days and I was sorry to depart. The others on the team were off to three more locales, one on the east side of the Kaibab and two more all the way to the west.

Here are some sample pics.

peterb
Attachments
015.JPG
015.JPG (156.83 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
what they look like from eye level
what they look like from eye level
001.JPG (250.3 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
017.JPG
017.JPG (65.78 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
040.JPG
040.JPG (154.62 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
059.JPG
059.JPG (210.68 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
046.JPG
046.JPG (126.9 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
078.JPG
078.JPG (152.19 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
131.JPG
131.JPG (144.06 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
265.JPG
265.JPG (164.87 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
Zone 9
A. Dean Stock

Re: Pediocactus peeblesianus fickeisenii survey

Post by A. Dean Stock »

Peter, nice way to spend a few days. I was surveying the same populations and some new ones a couple of weeks ago. I note that you are still using the old form of the varietal name. I believe that it was changed to var. fickeiseniorum. By either name, they are difficult to find but the flower helps.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Yes, it was a great few days. Very difficult to find indeed, especially in some of the locales that have been compromised. The change to fickeiseniorum was published by Fritz H in his pedio book (in the combination Navajoa peeblesianus subsp. fiskeiseniorum) but has not been accepted yet and hasn't been published in pediocactus yet, that I know of. I could be wrong, of course.

I was only about 40 miles from Kanab but no time to visit! Hope your spring is going great.

peterb
Zone 9
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

Peter, sorry I missed you. I probably crossed paths with your group at least once while you were in the area but field time is precious so I understand. The name change to subsp. fickeiseniorum is pretty much a settled issue. James H. Reveal gives a review of the many problems stemming from both Hochstatter's work and that of Benson's and the name subsp. ficheiseniorum is used and validated by Reveal in the new Intermountain Flora pages 696 and 697. Good reading to understand what went on with the complex history of names for this cactus.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Aha, well I don't have the Intermountain Flora yet so I missed it, but I look forward to checking it out. Thanks for the update. Did Pediocactus sileri change also? I thought I had heard it went to the plural possessive for similar reasons.

peterb
Zone 9
A. Dean Stock

Post by A. Dean Stock »

I believe that the name Pediocactus sileri is ok and it is used that way in the new Intermountain Flora without comment although Reveal did designate a new lectotype for the taxon. The taxon Sclerocactus sileri however does have some problems associated with it and that problem is currently being worked on by the Sclerocactus expert Dorde Woodruff.
Dean
Albert Dean Stock,Ph.D.
peterb

Post by peterb »

thanks Dean! Have to work hard to keep au courant with taxonomy these days!

peterb
Zone 9