Where to go near Solvang ??

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
coyotecreek

Where to go near Solvang ??

Post by coyotecreek »

Will have one free day in the area ... have always wanted to visit Lotus Land in Santa Barbara, but it isn't open this Saturday (2/15). What else would you recommend in the way of botanical adventures?
Harriet

Re: Where to go near Solvang ??

Post by Harriet »

There is an orchid farm in SB that we went to (some succulents too), but the best by far is Huntington Gargens, so worth the extra miles!

Failing that, any winery would do, beautiful scenery in which to drown your sorrow at missing Lotus Land! (Go up to Terry Hoagues winery in Passo Robles! Best wine ever.)
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
leland

Post by leland »

Sorry you are missing out on Lotus Land, but Santa Barbara also has Alice Keck park on the main drag and the botanical Garden in the hills. Neither one had much in the way of cactus when I went there about 10 years ago, but they are worth seeing.

http://www.santabarbara.com/activities/parks/alicekeck/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Huntington is about 3 hours each way from SB. Just do another trip to the LA area sometime and spend some real time at Huntington and the LA Arboretum rather than doing a long rushed daytrip. Paso is 2.5 hours north of SB, though they pass through there on their way back home. I'd recommend going to the SB Botanic Garden. Even if they aren't known for their succulents they will have some and they have a lot of natives, which really are interesting plants that are underrated. I know they have a decent Dudleya collection though I don't know if it is on display or not. I second the suggestion to swing by Alice Keck park. It is free and doesn't take that long to see and has some beautiful old Dragon Trees.

The zoo isn't a bad way to kill some time and they have some nice succulent plantings. Not enough to justify going for that only, but nice when you are there.

There are some ancient cave paintings in the hills near SB. I haven't been there so I don't know the details, though it is on my list of things to see.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
coyotecreek

Post by coyotecreek »

Thanks everyone for the replies. One reason I've always wanted to get to Lotus Land is because I'm a big fan of Chilean Wine Palms, and they've reportedly got about 40 mature trees there. I think I've visited almost every big CWP in northern CA, and I doubt that they total 40 altogether. There just happen to be 5 of them right here in my own neighborhood. Anyway, the famous Moreton Bay Fig is on the agenda, and I'll let you know what else I discover.