Baja Habitat cactus photos january 2014, highlights

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
peterb

Baja Habitat cactus photos january 2014, highlights

Post by peterb »

Hello all- I went down for my semiannual trek down and back up the Baja peninsula the past two weeks. I had a few botany/photographic goals this time: Pachgerocactus/Myrtgerocactus hybrids from the El Rosario area, more examples of Grusonia (Corynopuntia) robertsii, Ferocactus fordii grandiflorus (some say Fero chrysacanthus grandiflorus, etc., a confusing plant), Echinocereus maritimus ssp. hancockii, Lophocereus gatesii, more Morangaya pensilis populations, more Pereskiopsis porteri populations, a look at Cochemiea in the Sierra San Francisco, also Nolina brandegeei from up there, another look at Fero gracilis ssp. gatesii on the mainland south of Bahia de Los Angeles.

All of the above checked off except for those blasted hybrids around El Rosario, definitely need to get some inside info on those. I hiked around extensively in the likely habitat and came up with nothing. (Except some great hiking and amazing examples of the usual denizens).

Here's a few highlight pics of cacti. Hope you enjoy. (C=Canon, S=Sony Cyber-shot, for those interested)

peterb
Attachments
Interesting form of Ferocactus viridescens, sometimes called ssp orcuttii, I think, near La Mision (C)
Interesting form of Ferocactus viridescens, sometimes called ssp orcuttii, I think, near La Mision (C)
923.JPG (173.66 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
(C)One of two new specimens of Grusonia robertsii in the Vizcaino, previously unknown. Love this plant and hope to grow it sometime. Really an oddball.
(C)One of two new specimens of Grusonia robertsii in the Vizcaino, previously unknown. Love this plant and hope to grow it sometime. Really an oddball.
1152.JPG (121.6 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
Detail of the unusual fruit of robertsii, much more similar to a Cylindropuntia fruit. (C)
Detail of the unusual fruit of robertsii, much more similar to a Cylindropuntia fruit. (C)
1157.JPG (98 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
robertsii growing in the front, accompanied by invicta, C. cholla, Fouquieria, Fero peninsulae, a young L. schottii. (S)
robertsii growing in the front, accompanied by invicta, C. cholla, Fouquieria, Fero peninsulae, a young L. schottii. (S)
669.JPG (223.7 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
Ferocactus 'grandiflorus' (who knows what species it belongs under. It might even be a hybrid). Amazing colors. (C)
Ferocactus 'grandiflorus' (who knows what species it belongs under. It might even be a hybrid). Amazing colors. (C)
982.JPG (129.89 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
dramatically spiny E. maritimus hancockii near San Hipolito. Love these things. (S)
dramatically spiny E. maritimus hancockii near San Hipolito. Love these things. (S)
151.JPG (203.76 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
Young Lophocereus gatesii near the type locale, not yet "hairy." (S)
Young Lophocereus gatesii near the type locale, not yet "hairy." (S)
203.JPG (199.53 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
L. gatesii. (C)
L. gatesii. (C)
985.JPG (155.54 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
After hours of searching and a precipiitous hike into a very steep canyon near the crest of the Siera la Laguna, found a small population of Morangaya. (S)
After hours of searching and a precipiitous hike into a very steep canyon near the crest of the Siera la Laguna, found a small population of Morangaya. (S)
450.JPG (170.57 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
462.JPG
462.JPG (230.54 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
Found dozens of Pereskiopsis porteri at a new locale, a really dense population of what is otherwise a very widely scattered, usually isolated plant. Talked with a local and he told me they often do everything they can to get rid of all of these, as they are unpleasant for ranchers. I guess these extirpation efforts might help explain why it can be isolated.
Found dozens of Pereskiopsis porteri at a new locale, a really dense population of what is otherwise a very widely scattered, usually isolated plant. Talked with a local and he told me they often do everything they can to get rid of all of these, as they are unpleasant for ranchers. I guess these extirpation efforts might help explain why it can be isolated.
505.JPG (68.79 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
the really cool Nolina brandegeei in the Sierra San Francisco.
the really cool Nolina brandegeei in the Sierra San Francisco.
694.JPG (183.1 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
Cochemiea in the Sierra San Francisco. Rebman et al put it under setispina, but I think this little population has some pondii/maritima genes in it too, not surprising, as maritima grows on rocky cliffs not too far as the crow flies.
Cochemiea in the Sierra San Francisco. Rebman et al put it under setispina, but I think this little population has some pondii/maritima genes in it too, not surprising, as maritima grows on rocky cliffs not too far as the crow flies.
724.JPG (248.23 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
Fero gracilis gatesii south of Bahia de Los Angeles. (C)
Fero gracilis gatesii south of Bahia de Los Angeles. (C)
1179.JPG (132.47 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
Fero rectispinus cliffside at a beach along Bahia Concepcion. Big mistake putting these under emoryi. They have nothing to do with emoryi at all.
Fero rectispinus cliffside at a beach along Bahia Concepcion. Big mistake putting these under emoryi. They have nothing to do with emoryi at all.
1132.JPG (179.29 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
The ever dramatic Fero gracilis coloratus (S)
The ever dramatic Fero gracilis coloratus (S)
119.JPG (223.23 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
nearly 7 foot tall specimen of rectispinus, Sierra San Francisco.
nearly 7 foot tall specimen of rectispinus, Sierra San Francisco.
738.JPG (232.03 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
L. thurberi littoralis near San Jose del Cabo. Fascinating variant of the usual Organ Pipe. (S)
L. thurberi littoralis near San Jose del Cabo. Fascinating variant of the usual Organ Pipe. (S)
382.JPG (219.65 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
Tempting to say it's just thurberi affected by the sea winds or substrate, except when you see the two forms growing in proximity. (S)
Tempting to say it's just thurberi affected by the sea winds or substrate, except when you see the two forms growing in proximity. (S)
370.JPG (212.06 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
strange Echinocereus sciurus, which, somewhat like E. brandegeei, has strongly tuberculate stems with weak (if any) ribs.
strange Echinocereus sciurus, which, somewhat like E. brandegeei, has strongly tuberculate stems with weak (if any) ribs.
303.JPG (252.66 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
My car sure took a beating on this trip. :-)
My car sure took a beating on this trip. :-)
492.JPG (157.05 KiB) Viewed 4124 times
Zone 9
Harriet

Re: Baja Habitat cactus photos january 2014, highlights

Post by Harriet »

Is it just me, or are you getting more detail in the Canon shots? All of the shots are great, as ever.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Tony

Post by Tony »

Great shots as always Peter!
Did you happen to get more images of the Lophocereus gatesii plants?
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Great photos! Must have been an amazing trip. Love that Corynopuntia!
peterb

Post by peterb »

Yes, Tony, more shots of gatesii. I can post them here. Harriet, I think the Canon is taking better pics, whenI use it correctly. haha.

peterb
Zone 9
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Next step is exploring the use of a polarizer for times when glare and reflections are a problem. (If you need sunglasses, your camera might too!) Depending on the kind you get, polarizers can be quite inexpensive. I am using a very inexpensive Tiffen "circular polarizer", but you can get really fancy and buy "rigs" to attach in front of the lens that have interchangable filters of all sorts (color, neutral density, polarized, etc.), all with and without gradients. So much to experiment with!
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

awesome pictures peter, also interesting subjects!
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)
peterb

Post by peterb »

Some more pics of L. gatesii. I was there near sunset and then again at dawn, so the light is interesting.

peterb
Attachments
206.JPG
206.JPG (111.57 KiB) Viewed 4087 times
213.JPG
213.JPG (149.3 KiB) Viewed 4087 times
229.JPG
229.JPG (25.38 KiB) Viewed 4087 times
244.JPG
244.JPG (195.95 KiB) Viewed 4087 times
Zone 9
MJPapay

Post by MJPapay »

As ever - very good to see cacti in habitat depicted so well in photographs.

While it is nice to have cacti in the garden, they look more dramatic in the rugged landscapes to which they are native.

Seeing them that way freshens the mind and lifts the soul.

I hope we will always allow them their native space.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Agreed! Habitat is the best solution for worry. :-)

There's little chance that much of Baja will be developed any time soon, as there is no water, no infrastructure, very little economic interest and no consistent vision for long range development. People repeatedly try to set up resorts or new housing or whatever and the failure rate is very, very high. The Baja environment is not for everyone, in spite of the surface appearance of beauty. The weather and the harshness of the surroundings warn off a lot of potential development, which is a great thing IMO.

Meanwhile, Baja residents could make a lot more out of the ecotourism and adventure tourism angle, if they had the training and perspective to lean into that harder. There is a significant global market for hardass vacations that Baja could easily satisfy. Many of the developers there keep trying to push the luxury end of things and it's a big mistake.

peterb
Zone 9
tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

Love it!!!
Eutow_Intermedium

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

I always like to see plants in habitat where they should be.

Esp like your ferocactus pics , some of them get pretty big and re ever so impressive.

The picture of the F. Gracilis colortus is fantastic, growing out of that shrubby cluster, almost seems framed .
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

I keep coming back to admire these photos, the cactus shots are wonderful of course, but my favorite is the one of what you did to your car!!!!
Tony

Post by Tony »

Thanks for adding the extra pix Peter.
Those plants look really... hard grown! Its no wonder L. gatesii is not more common in cultivation. :P
Do you remember seeing any of them that were taller than 6 1/2 to 7 foot tall, or were they all close to the height listed in the descriptions?
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
peterb

Post by peterb »

I saw one very old, very large specimen that was maybe 10 feet tall? But by far the majority were at most in the range you mention. It's a rough and tumble habitat there. L. schottii australis grow *incredibly huge* in this area though. Gigantic barges of plants.

peterb
Zone 9