Opuntia fruit for sale in Canada

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
Loph

Opuntia fruit for sale in Canada

Post by Loph »

not sure if i should put this here or the trade section??? i am nto trading anything, just giving a heads up.

the Great Canadian Superstore (i went to 4 in BC that all had them) has boxes of opuntia fruit. big large ripe fruit. darn they were tasty. when i first got to canada last month they were 7.99 a box, then a few days later went down to 2.99 a box (about 25 fruit in a box).

no glochids deep red colour, very sweet! i am nto in canada anymore, but i got my fair share of seeds from them!

anyway, they will probably have them for a few more weeks i suspect if your out looking around :)
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
TimN

Post by TimN »

Opuntia paddles and fruit are very common in AZ grocery stores. They are also unbelieveably common OUTSIDE of grocery stores in the PHX area. :D

They are sold by weight, so you don't have to buy the entire box if you just want a taste.

Tim
Loph

Post by Loph »

ya ok, rub it in! in canada i had never seen the fruits for sale, ever! only the pads. aside from the seeds they make a good snack!!!

here in taiwan they use them to make ice cream.
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
mjazz

Re: Opuntia fruit for sale in Canada

Post by mjazz »

They sell the fruits here in RI. I planted the seeds hoping I would get the kind that I saw on tv about the Galapagos islands- with trunks. They seem to be growing one pad on top of the other- not sure if it wants to become a trunk or not.