Human Cactus Eater!

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
daiv
Site Admin

Human Cactus Eater!

Post by daiv »

I've always known that Opuntia was a popular Mexican ingredient, but never bothered trying them myself. After all these years, I finally picked up a jar of Nopalitos. Now that I have, I am wondering what took me so long. I ate some plain and they were good, but they are really good to pile up on a tortilla chip or in a quesadilla! Now I think we need to whip up some steak fajitas. :tongue8:

Anyone else eat cactus prepared this way?

I am just thrilled with this "discovery"!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

We always have one or two dishes using the canned nopalitos at our Cactus Cook Off. They are good in salads, nice crunchy point in the mix. They are also terrific stirred into a scrambled egg dish, some quiches, some just scrambled eggs.

I forgot, my wife made frozen yogurt out of the fruit of the Opuntia robusta. Great color (very pink) and nice flavor.
Last edited by Buck Hemenway on Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buck Hemenway
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Daiv,
I would love to try some of those, I have no idea where to get them from tho.

I will do a search on the brand.
(edit) I can find no stores that have it within 100 miles of me, weird. Why is that so popular everywhere but AZ???
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
charlpic

Post by charlpic »

Didn't really know how to use this but I couldn't resist last week when I saw this on a shelf.

Chopped them with red peppers and onions. Let caramelize with red wine and a few drops of crème de cassis. Used it as a little tapenade topping for a trout fillet.

Wasn't really sure if the "recipe police" would come and handcuff me. They didn't.
bett

Post by bett »

My dad found a jar of those for really cheap at a store going out of business last year, so he brought em home. I found them to be a bit soft and slimy at first, but they had a delicate flavor of pickled cucumbers. I found them to go well on sandwiches, tacos, and on some veggie hotdogs I made, kind of how one would use relish. It was the first time I had eaten cactus of any sort, but they were pretty good. I'm not sure what store it was that my dad got them at, but he only bought them because they were so cheap (apparently he thought the regular price was a bit too high). I'm not sure if any of the local grocery stores have them, I'll have to look around more.
peterb

Post by peterb »

PTCG, nopales are readily available raw at most grocery stores down here in Phoenix, as well as canned, pickled, etc. I like them in salsa, although the mucilaginous texture can be a bit strange.

peterb
Zone 9
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

I understand that a quick blanching will take the "sliminess" out of them.
Buck Hemenway
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well I got these at none other than Wal-Mart! Just check in the Mexican food section.

Great feedback everyone and even better suggestions.

Buck, I am going to do the omelet thing tomorrow for sure. I also want to try them on a hot dog, and will definitely add them in this season when the tomatoes are ripe and I make homemade salsa.

...and I would eat them here or there, I would eat them anywhere!
Peterthecactusguy

PeterB, I will have to drive in closer to Phoenix then apparently haha. :)

Daiv, I Will check with Walmart too, maybe I can see one of their stores having it somewhere :)

I will have to give it a try. I will probably use them with pork, peppers, and the Nopalitos in a tortilla with cheese so I guess that would make them a quesodilla. :)
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Buck Hemenway wrote:I forgot, my wife made frozen yogurt out of the fruit of the Opuntia rousta. Great color (very pink) and nice flavor.
She also makes a killer Margarita! :)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Did the omelet this morning and it was great! I got pics, but they're still on the camera. I didn't add anything else to it - just eggs, cheese, and cactus. I think it would be even better in combination with some other traditional omelet fare.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well here is my first cactus Omelete on a nice paper plate!

John C

Post by John C »

Yummy! Looks good!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
PapaBearJay

Post by PapaBearJay »

Scrump-diddly-umptious!
Peterthecactusguy

BTW I was able to find some Nopalitos at Walmart. They had them hidden away in the Hispanic food section. We haven't tried them yet, I think everyone else is scared to try them. I will have to eat them all by myself possibly. Oh well. I will give them a whirl soon and maybe take some pics. I found a few recipes on-line too that I might try.