san pedro that has yellow skin

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
gonefishen24

san pedro that has yellow skin

Post by gonefishen24 »

i recently aquired a really beat up san pedro (Echinopsis pachanoi) its middle stalk is yellowish brown like tree bark but the little pups that its shot out are pretty good looking green.
first question would be will the middle stalk ever come back?
and second question would be a hypothetical one
Would the yellow cactus still contain the "magic" alkoids if boiled out?Image
Dmyerswny

Post by Dmyerswny »

Your really into those San Pedro huh? They are pretty huh? :wink:
Thirsty for knowledge. Please water me more than your cactus!
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

no, it's dead.
the pups it sent out are alive.
That's all I will say.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
dustin0352

Post by dustin0352 »

The stalk might still throw out some more pups if taken care of. You should however exercise exrteme caution when having ideas of boiling/eating cacti that you dont know their history. A systemic treatment in the past can rain on your magic...
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

I don't mean to be a prissy old lady (I remember a lot of the '60s and '70s), but can we keep the recipes for the 'magic' part of cactus down to soil mix and bug killer?

Before you guys jump all over this, please note that I'm only talking about the magic. I have no problem with how to make prickly pear jam or dragon fruit pie...
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

Harriet wrote:I don't mean to be a prissy old lady (I remember a lot of the '60s and '70s), but can we keep the recipes for the 'magic' part of cactus down to soil mix and bug killer?

Before you guys jump all over this, please note that I'm only talking about the magic. I have no problem with how to make prickly pear jam or dragon fruit pie...
I am a younger generation person, that personally wouldn't eat any flesh off of a cactus unless I knew for sure a lot of it's history, so for that matter I won't eat any. I will however make PP jam, in fact I have started collecting fruits to make some :)
(so far all I have seen collecting is old people believe it or not)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

A quarter cup generic lawn or garden fertilizer will green that dude up. Cactus need food too, you know.
Loph

Post by Loph »

looks like it was previously laying on its side. that would explain teh scar crap on the main stem and maybe some of the colour. also may be getting too much sun right now...personally i would repot it and shade it a little at first.

i would also honestly cut the pups and grow up some nice purdy green plants from those :)
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.