Portulaca oleracea

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
daiv
Site Admin

Portulaca oleracea

Post by daiv »

OK this is not a cactus, but who says this thread only has to be about cactus? 8)

In this thread we discussed eating "Purslane" or Portulaca oleracea:

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17923

As Buck mentioned in that post, the latest CSSA journal had an article about this plant and a soup recipe. Well having it in abundance in the vegetable garden and needing to weed it anyway, here is what happened:

In the garden -growing!

In the sink -washed!

In the pan - cooking!

In the pan - done!

In the bowl - eat!

I guess I could have used a better bowl for this, but there it is.

The soup was delicious, but then anything with that much onion and garlic is certain to be. I overcooked it and am going to do it again.

Ingredients:

1/2 Onion
1/2 head of garlic
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp salt
1.5 cups Portulaca
1 clove garlic -crushed
2 eggs
2 cups water
1 slice of cheese on top

That's it!
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Avirosa

Post by Avirosa »

Ultimate respect. I am sure it tasted better than it looked!
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

BTW I need to snap a pic, but I think I gots some of that growing in my yard by my agaves!
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Avirosa wrote:Ultimate respect. I am sure it tasted better than it looked!
Ha! Yes, absolutely. It is darker than the picture in the CSSA journal because I over-cooked it. Not burning it, but much of the water boiled off. I did another batch the next day and it was more watery soup looking, but I actually liked the thicker version better for taste.

Just be ready to have garlic ooze out your pores afterward! :?
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

We use it fresh in salads or also just pick and munch in the garden (or woods). Surprisingly tasty and mild. Get it turgid so there is a good crunch and, as I recall, it is not so good once seeds begin to form. The Talmud mentions it as used for food and that was 1800 years ago... (Hope this does not violate the ban on religious discussions.[-( )

Shmuel

PS the horticultural varieties don't taste so good.
Amazing plants, amazing form, amazing flowers...
Amazing cacti!
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yes, I've also used it fresh this last summer too. I would not want to eat a lot of it plain, but mixed with other greens is good.

Daiv
PS. No violations in your post. :wink:
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

I like a bit of purslane in a salad. They even sell it occasionally at my local organic store. It is quite acidic but used in small amounts adds to the taste nicely. Sometimes they confuse Claytonia (winter purslane) leaves with true purslane.

I have also had trimmings from the even more succulent relative Elephant Bush (Portulacaria afra) but they are more acidic and I have used the leaves chopped and mashed in a salad dressing, obviating the need for lemon or vinegar.
paulzie32

Post by paulzie32 »

Looks Good Daiv. I've eaten it in the past with my grandmother (when I was little) and in my late teens and early twenty's when I went through a "Wilderness Survival" period. I ate Lots of things considered weeds back then.
I'm not really too crazy about mucilaginous vegetables (Okra included) so I don't think I'll be trying your recipe :)
Image I wasn't raised a Cactolic but converted to Cactolicism later in life ImageImage
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well, we had/have TONS of portulaca in the garden again this year, but I didn't eat much of it. :roll:
kam

Re: Portulaca oleracea

Post by kam »

Known as Kulfa saag in this part of the world. It grows in summer 40c plus and traditionally it cools down the body. It is sour if collected early in the morning(yummy) but it loses the sour taste if collected in the afternoon. Cooked with yoghurt.
cactushobbyman

Post by cactushobbyman »

It grows wild around here and when my mother-in-law comes to visit, she makes a dish of it. :)
kam

Post by kam »

Great. Remember it is a summer veg and it does beat the heat. Also if it works medicinally you might have a runny stomach but nothing to worry about. Herbal and Homoeopathic philosophy says a runny stomach means all the toxins are being ejected :lol: .
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

There are cultivated varieties that grow more upright with larger leaves, bred for use as a vegetable. I've grown it, very tasty and mild, gets slightly tart when it blooms. Not hard to control, though it will reseed if you let it.

Don't have the weed here.
Spence :mrgreen:
CactusBoss

Post by CactusBoss »

Yummy!!
Daniel (age 25)

Zone 5a