How to cook Opuntia pads?

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
Saguaro123

Post by Saguaro123 »

Not all the species are edible. I read that one of the opuntia species have some chemicals that will cause kidney or liver damage.

And the rest are full of glochids and spines, so it would be a pain in the rear to prepare them.
eekawill

Post by eekawill »

What kinds are edible besides ficus indica and humifusa? correct me if those are some of the ones that are not
The best time to plant a cactus is twenty years ago. The second best time is now...
Zone 5a-5b...
(looking for L.Williamsii seeds pm me if you have some to sell...)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eekawill

Will B.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

I am pretty sure that O. ficus-indicus is for sure edible.
That is all that I could find on wikipedia. hang on tho.
http://www.succulent-plant.com/crecipe.html According to this site they are all edible, but I dont know if any are better then others other than O. ficus indicus.
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
hippyman

Post by hippyman »

I've been wondering about this actually. My opuntia has grown a lot, since I got it, but its still in the pot. Should I plant it before I try harvesting from it?
Peterthecactusguy

hippyman wrote:I've been wondering about this actually. My opuntia has grown a lot, since I got it, but its still in the pot. Should I plant it before I try harvesting from it?
I don't think it matters very much if it's in the ground VS in a pot. Just remember that you want to harvest the young pads. Not the old ones.
Peterthecactusguy

eekawill wrote:What kinds are edible besides ficus indica and humifusa? correct me if those are some of the ones that are not
Will, btw you can also eat O. engelmannii and O. phaeancantha pads, but those two are a pain in the rear as Byron suggested because they have tons of glochids and spines. What you need to do to eat those types is get a potato peeler and dig out the areoles with the eye gouger(ya know the tip that pulls out the eyes of potatoes) and then you can peel off the skin where the glochids are( usually around the areoles and also along the top part of the pad and the edges)

Now ya see why O. ficus-indica is preferred.