Latest superfood craze?

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
iann

Latest superfood craze?

Post by iann »

Nopal Powder?. Or have people being using this for ages without me noticing in a vain attempt to compensate for their unhealthy lifestyles?
--ian
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well I never heard of it, but then again, I am never looking for that sort of thing so that doesn't mean it isn't well known in the whole "herbal health" circuit. :dontknow:
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
CelticRose

Post by CelticRose »

I've seen nopal advertised, but not specifically in a powder form.

Nopales are a good healthy vegetable, but no more than that. This is just the latest "take a healthy food and find a way to sell it as snake oil" out there.
My mind works in mysterious ways.

I'm all a-Twitter: http://twitter.com/RosCeilteach

My needlework blog: http://rainbowpincushion.blogspot.com
peterb

Post by peterb »

Nopal powder has been for sale from yerberias and Latin American farmacias for decades. It is used as a cheap way to (supposedly) maintain blood sugar levels for hypoglycemics and diabetics. It's also considered a weight loss preparation. Oddly, it seems to be an appetite suppressant and a digestive aid. I don't think any formal medical studies have been done, but it's a very popular herbal "remedy" in Latin America.

peterb
Zone 9
iann

Post by iann »

There's plenty of formal studies, although I don't think you'd call any of them clinical trials. Here's several PubMed results of some studies on several different Opuntia species for hypoglycaemic effects. I couldn't find anyone who has found an active ingredient, although one study specifically claimed that the effects didn't seem to be caused solely by the dietary fibre from the Opuntias (which was my first thought).
--ian
peterb

Post by peterb »

ah, thanks for those links. Interesting.

peterb
Zone 9
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

As I understand it, Opuntia is extremely high in fiber as local Mexicans that eat it here have attested to with a knowing laugh. :shock:

Culturally, anything that has that "effect" on a person is automatically going to hailed as excellent for your health. It seems there are entire movements about having a movement. :mrgreen:
TimN

Post by TimN »

daiv wrote:It seems there are entire movements about having a movement. :mrgreen:
A sure sign that some people have waaaay too much time on their hands (and who knows what else!)
Disclaimer: I'm in sunny Arizona, so any advice I give may not apply in your circumstances.

Tim
iann

Post by iann »

A sure sign that some people have waaaay too much time on their hands
It is amazing the effort some people will put into not having to put in the effort to be healthy :roll:
--ian
Loph

Post by Loph »

i was once told by a coworker that if we pooped like birds, we may live twice as long, theory being poo is fairly toxic and we tend to keep it in us for longer than in needed for nutrient uptake, and it can become toxic to us....any truth to that?
Stephen Robert Irwin: 22 February 1962 – 4 September 2006. Rest In Peace.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Sounds oversimplified to me and like pure conjecture.

I've already lived longer than most birds lifespan. Some captive birds are known to have lived into their 80's, but lots of people do that too. So why would it make us live 120-160 years if birds don't?

On the other hand, tortoises do live from 120-160 years on a regular basis. And they are much slower at everything than we are.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

I thought that Opuntias have lots of weird chemicals in them. I also seem to remember reading that "a few members may contain mescaline in them." so maybe the one that everyone thinks has health benefits really has a lot of mescaline in it and therefore gives everyone a strange trip!
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
king_hedes

Post by king_hedes »

Peterthecactusguy wrote:I thought that Opuntias have lots of weird chemicals in them. I also seem to remember reading that "a few members may contain mescaline in them." so maybe the one that everyone thinks has health benefits really has a lot of mescaline in it and therefore gives everyone a strange trip!
lol i seen a infomercial on them the other day
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

haha Interesting. I saw an ad on wikipedia.org or maybe it was on yahoo search for stuff from PP that cost 45 bucks for a gallon bottle that was supposed to last a month.
oh well.
I'd rather spend 45 bucks on cactus that I can grow!
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.