Mead

Created by popular request. Share what you know about man's past and present use of cacti.
tvaughan

Mead

Post by tvaughan »

Are any of the others here brewers? I've just started 4 gallons of prickly pear mead. I've never had it, but hear it's great. I mashed and got the juice of some PP fruit (our area has millions of pounds of the stuff falling on the ground this time of year) and brought it up to 20% sugar with honey.
hoven5th

Post by hoven5th »

I've never brewed cacti, but I have brewed beer (and wine once, but it turned out badly). I've considered growing PPs for this reason, but I'm afriad the amount of fruit I would need would require me to have more plants than I have room for. I'm curious aboout how much fruit you actually need. Do you have a recipe?
Beginner
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

You only need 4 or five pounds for a batch that will make 20-25 bottles, so a healthy plant could produce quite a lot of mead. As I said, it's supposed to be great. But like all mead, you may have to wait a year to drink it.
king_hedes

Post by king_hedes »

i always wanted to make prickly pear wine cuz here to it pretty abbundent i normaly will make wine out of mustang grapes what kind of yeast did you used and how much honey did you add for your 5 pounds of pears
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy
dustin0352

Post by dustin0352 »

Yes we need a recipe!!! Beer is getting pricey! lol :lol: Really though I never knew there was cactus alcohol. Again you learn something new everyday.
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

It's not that hard, and some one batch I made with raspberry honey, peppermint and red plums is to die for.

Put a half gallon or so up to a gallon and a half PP juice in the very clean bucket. Add 12 pounds honey. Then sterilize (either with heat or camden tabs. I use the tabs since heat can mess with honey's flavor). Then add some aggressive yeast like EC 1118, following the directions on the packet. Add some yeast nutrient (NOT OPTIONAL!!) that you can get from any brewery source.

That's pretty much it. The plastic air locks only cost about a buck. A good trick is to aerate it once per day the first three days. I use a drill and a paint mixer bit. After three days it will have to be air tight, and fermentation should take about 2 weeks.

Then you "rack" a couple times and let it age.
king_hedes

Post by king_hedes »

yea i'm gunna try to go pick a bunch of pears today i might have to order brewers yeast theirs no wine places around here i always used bread yeast is that stuff pretty sweet when your done with it if so i might used a little less honey i dont much care for sweet wine
for a air lock i normaly use them 5 gallon water jugs and get a hose and run it into a cup of water but i never sterilized them before
plant zone 9a
Matt Ivy
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

Remember honey doesn't have the nutrients especially Nitrogen that grapes and grain have, so if you don't add yeast nutrients the fermentation will kick out at just a few percent alcohol.

I wish you guys could see what's happening with the PP mead now. One bubble per second coming out of the air lock! By volume the yeast is creating a fifteenth of a gallon pure alcohol per day :lol:

And I was just thinking, looking at all those tons of PP fruit going to waste, you could get 20 bottles per 100 percent moonshine out of a 55 gallon drum full of those things, and you only have to wait two weeks for the final product.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Tim,
Let me know when you want to go commercial and we'll set up a little PP Mead ordering section on the site. :wink:

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
tvaughan

Post by tvaughan »

I'd have to make a lot more before my personal thirst is quenched....