The Cacti Articles? A question?

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
Kirsty.B

The Cacti Articles? A question?

Post by Kirsty.B »

Hello :-)

I'm enjoying to find my way around CactiGuide, and i'm really interested in the Cacti in Depth, 'How to Write a Scientific Name Correctly', article.
I had to study plant names and origins, but Cacti weren't really a top subject, and it's only the last 7yrs or so since i've fell in love with them. My question is why there is no mention of subspecies, but only varietas 'var', and forma 'f'?
Do subspecies not exist in Cactacea? X
kristian_Fossmo

Re: The Cacti Articles? A question?

Post by kristian_Fossmo »

I believe that variety is "almost" equivalent to subspecies, just a little lower in the taxon, you can not use the variety definition in animal classification, in botanic nomenclature it is ok. So it depends on if you are a zoologist or botanist. Every scientific genera like to use specific words for specific thing. It is like Phylum and Division is "almost" the same, just depend on what science genera you belong to. But it gets a little tricky to compare plant taxon with animal, fungi and bacteria, because you look at different things, hence the "almost" :wink:
"When the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again."
William Beebe, 1906
Kirsty.B

Post by Kirsty.B »

Thanks, so we're talking Botany, specifically Cactacea.
I want to learn about the Cactacea family, which was my question :-)

Why have i never seen (subsp.) in regards to a Cacti? I know that in other plants there are three subdivisions, which i admit overlap a wee bit, but still the subsp. is a distinct variant? I'm still going through all the articles, and i have much to learn, and i really want to learn! That's why i'm here. I would like to learn all your knowledge. The internet is a great place, but i've read things that are total crap! That's why i'm here on Cactiguide, it's real :-)
kristian_Fossmo

Post by kristian_Fossmo »

Well, I do not know why, tradition maybe... As you will find out, the taxonomic situation in Cactaceae is a dynamic one.
"When the last individual of a race of living things breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again."
William Beebe, 1906
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Botany tended to always use variety and forma for the Cactaceae up until recent times Kirsty and these are still available for use I believe. However the trend (or fashion?) nowadays for botanists seems to be to adopt the Zoological rank of subspecies. In fact many new combinations for those formerly at varietal rank are now being made as subspecies. In new botanical literature you will find most subgeneric forms listed as subspecies. However the new combination has to be formally made, you can not just change the previous designation of variety to subspecies at will.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=W8C ... ny&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One thing not allowed in the Botanical Code, which is in the Zoological Code, are tautonyms. You are allowed Bufo bufo in zoology, but not Opuntia opuntia in botany, that had to be changed to Opuntia humifusa.

http://www.curioustaxonomy.net/word/tautonym.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have not yet come across subspecies in the Cactaceae Kirsty you have not yet consulted many new authorative cactus books or web sites.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/MAMMIL ... rnberi.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.scielo.cl/scielo.php?script= ... 6000100009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't worry, as soon as we get used to one method they are sure to change it.