Back online.

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
DaveW

Back online.

Post by DaveW »

Nice to see the site back online. I was about to post something yesterday and CactiGuide suddenly disappeared off my computer. Also several other cactus sites like the BCSS Forum and Cactus Explorers disappeared at the same time and Windows gave the message "DNS Server not Responding", but they have all just come back, evidently you all use the same servers.

The notice on the BCSS Forum evidently explains things:-

"The server hosting the BCSS website became uncontactable at approximately 10pm yesterday (UK time 16th April) and came back on line at around 3pm today. This affected all sites and services on the server. It was apparently due to a bug in the routing software/firmware at the data center in USA where the server is hosted. I believe everything is now functional again."
Eutow_Intermedium

Re: Back online.

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

I had noticed for a couple or several days that CactiGuide forum was down.

Said Bandwidth had been exceeded , and something about Apache indians :lol:

Good to have the site back up an running again.
majcka

Post by majcka »

Eutow_Intermedium wrote:I had noticed for a couple or several days that CactiGuide forum was down.

Said Bandwidth had been exceeded , and something about Apache indians :lol:

Good to have the site back up an running again.
Right. I was lost totaly. #-o
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Mark

Post by Mark »

I thought I was the only one having problems. Lol I didn't know what to do. :P

Mark
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

"It said Bandwidth had been exceeded, and something about Apache indians :lol:"

That was the second time Eutow from a different cause. My original post was when it went down the first time along with a few other cactus sites like the BCSS and Cactus Explorers who were evidently using the same servers. The BCSS posted this about the first outage:-

"I think I need to clarify a bit. The server never actually went down, it was on-line all the time. The problem was that the route through the internet advertised to get to it was corrupted by the bug in the hosting company's routers in their Data Centre. When you were able to contact the server would have depended on where your obtain your routing information and when and how often they update that information."

After about a day or so CactiGuide alone went down again with the "Bandwidth Exceeded" message.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Yes, the bandwidth was artificially inflated at the beginning of April which caused it to go way up over the limit. I sure hope things settle down for a while now.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

Thats ok daiv I think we all are just happy you got things up and running again.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I tried to log on yesterday and got the same "bandwidth exceeded" message. I think the problem may be people posting too many images at one time:-

"An image is worth a thousand words, but it will often be a larger file than a thousand words of text and thus will take longer to download. It is common for many web pages to have more data in images than text, so reducing your use of images and reducing the size of the images you do use can make a big difference to the experience of someone on a slow connection."

Therefore if you posted 10 images in one go it would take up more bandwidth than if you had posted 10,000 words that day in forum contributions!

I used to be on an American camera site and they limited everybody to only uploading 4 images per day to reduce the bandwidth requirements. You could spread the images out over time, but only upload four to the site per day. If your photo's were on a photo hosting site however you could link to as many as you wanted.

I think Daiv should consider an image posting quota per member per day to hopefully stop the site going down regularly through exceeding the bandwidth allowance?