Right type of compost

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
larry breheny

Right type of compost

Post by larry breheny »

Hi, I am a new member and I am beginning to educate myself about the right type of compost mix for cacti and succulents. Firstly some thoughts: I have read that some people advise to microwave the earth you take from your garden. I feel this is crazy advice as it damages anything in the earth, kills microorganisms etc. Many people are disposing if their microwaves now as more truth comes out. Ok when it comes to garden soil there may be snails, worms etc, but if the soil is left to dry and and turned over most of these can be removed. Also some recommend a type of plastic in the mix. Perhaps it is great for a couple of years but I would be very concerned about what happens to it when it eventually breaks down as I also have an organic plot for vegetables.

Ok I am at the experimenting stage when it comes to a good cacti mix. I have notices that with all the succulents that they thrive in my garden soil with nothing added at all Same with the large agaves and aloe vera plants I have. My garden soil is rich in natural nutrients (I never use chemicals) from the organic matter ( leaves from all kinds of trees, vegetable and fruit leftovers, banana skins potato leaves etc etc. etc.) I have put into it over the years. When I put the cacti into this they also do well but not as well as the succulents.

Anyway I have decided to try a 50/50 mix of my garden soil and builders sand with no salt or lime in it. What would be better?
Last edited by larry breheny on Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harriet

Re: Right type of compost

Post by Harriet »

Many, if not all, cacti do not want richly organic soil. While compost is great for your vegetable garden, it could eventually kill your cacti. Start here: http://cactiguide.com/article/?article=article8.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)