A bit of confusion in the Guide?

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
Bruce

A bit of confusion in the Guide?

Post by Bruce »

I went looking for some info on Gymno friedrichii and came up with two entries, both with accompanying pics...

Gymnocalycium mihanovichii subsp. friedrichii
Common Name(s):
Synonym(s): Gymnocalycium stenopleurum

Gymnocalycium stenopleurum
Common Name(s):
Synonym(s): Gymnocalycium mihanovichii var friedrichii

Bruce
Every day, after supper, Granny walks two miles. We haven't seen her in years.
daiv
Site Admin

Re: A bit of confusion in the Guide?

Post by daiv »

Bruce,
I am very glad whenever someone points out something that needs correcting. This one isn't only confused on the guide here, but apparently is a matter of confusion all over. That is to say - confusing for us and a matter of disagreement for taxonomists - who my be opinionated, but not confused.

Anyway, I should add some notes on these on the site. Graham Charles gives a comprehensive account of the stenopleurum/fredrichii situation in his excellent monograph of the genus:

http://www.exoticplantbooks.com/detail/?product_id=409" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I won't repeat all of it here, but will quote this one summary paragraph:
G. mihanovichii var. friedrichii is not accepted as a synonym of G. stenopleurum by all students of the genus, although the stated differences are slight and their habitats are close. Both have the rough epidermis which separates them from G. mihanovichii. Schadlich (2005b), who does not accept that they are synonyms, gives us more information about the plants he saw at the type locality. He reports that the plants there can grow to 300mm tall, the flower varies from white to pink and ripe fruits are actually red. Bercht (pers. com.) says that G. stenopleurum usually grows on rocks whereas G. friedrichii prefers sand.
So.... the jury is still out on these apparently. G. mihanovichii var. friedrichii and G. stenopleurum MAY be synonyms or may be DISTINCT. Either way, I'm quite certain that this situation will be responsible for many more years of confusion.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti