What I like about the CactiGuide Forum

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
tumamoc

What I like about the CactiGuide Forum

Post by tumamoc »

I'm a member of a few other forums (non-C&S, mind you) and you wouldn't believe some of the rude, thoughtless comments people make. It gets me so frustrated and incensed. I've never experienced anything even remotely close to that on CactiGuide. This may just be the most courteous forum around--a real sanctuary. Thanks daiv and everybody for keeping it respectable. Serenity now! :D
daiv
Site Admin

Re: What I like about the CactiGuide Forum

Post by daiv »

I don't go on other forums as I always think that there is more I could be doing here with that time. I am woefully behind on the "member topics" as just one example.

However, I do notice comments on "youtube" or news articles where I see just what you describe. It really makes me wonder what we are missing out on. People wouldn't continue to make ugly comments to/about others unless it benefited them in some way right? Of course that isn't a serious question, but it makes you wonder.

That said, I too really really appreciate the folks on the forum here and would consider you all as friends.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
majcka

Post by majcka »

daiv wrote:I don't go on other forums as I always think that there is more I could be doing here with that time. I am woefully behind on the "member topics" as just one example.

However, I do notice comments on "youtube" or news articles where I see just what you describe. It really makes me wonder what we are missing out on. People wouldn't continue to make ugly comments to/about others unless it benefited them in some way right? Of course that isn't a serious question, but it makes you wonder.

That said, I too really really appreciate the folks on the forum here and would consider you all as friends.
Isn't that strange. It appears here too. So there are bad-manners people all around the world???Image
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

tumamoc

Post by tumamoc »

People wouldn't continue to make ugly comments to/about others unless it benefited them in some way right? Of course that isn't a serious question, but it makes you wonder.
I guess some derive pleasure from posting ugly comments. The virtual anonymity offered by the internet removes the filter many folks would have when speaking to someone face to face or in a crowd. I admit I've typed up a few zingers in my day, but I am really glad, more often than not, I highlighted and hit delete rather than submitted a reply. Nowadays I try to reply with positive or neutral comments. Or else, just remove myself from the situation. There's no sense having your life dominated by negativity.
John C

Post by John C »

I have to agree. There are some other forums I am on as well, and nothing compares to CactiGuide. Everyone here is very friendly, and controversial topics are kept to a minimum here. I am astounded at what people consider "On Topic" on other forums and how heated the debates get. I once made a comment about the topics of debate distracting from the topic of the forum and it didn't go over well.

There truly is no forum like CactiGuide!
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

There truly is no forum like CactiGuide![/quote]

HERE, HERE!!! :thumbright: :thumbleft: :hal
Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

Well, cacti are pretty apolitical. Other gardening forums can get bogged down in flame wars about organic gardening, but cacti prefer an inorganic substrate. Also its pretty hard to blame obama or the NRA if a cactus dies...
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Maintaining order is what you have Moderators for, if things are getting too abusive they are not doing their job. However friendly "heated" argument can be constructive as long as it is not being personalised with insults.
Ivan C

Post by Ivan C »

And the old adage "If you have nothing good to say, say nothing"
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

Our membership is probably more mature than most other forums too, and growing C&S is only for the patient.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

The thing I most like about the forum is that it caters for all levels of knowledge re-guarding C&S. I am still at the beginning of learning as are many other members, but we are not made to feel inferior when we ask for information or help. Indeed we are encouraged to always go one step further along the learning path. (Long path though! ](*,) ). On the other hand I find it very interesting reading what the more experienced members write, even if it is a bit technical at times. The more you read the more you learn. Trouble is as you get older you sometimes need to read several times before it sinks in, then you need to keep going back to it every so often for a "re-fresh". At any rate I do. :? I find that if I write things down I tend to remember better. I'm rambling now (another trait acquired with years :lol: )
Anyway I would just like to say a big THANKYOU to all members for making this forum so pleasant and enjoyable, it"s my regular spot almost every evening and I for one would be totally lost without it now. Thankyou Daiv and everyone else to numerous to mention. =D> =D> =D>

Susi :study: :read2:
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;