10 years of cactiguide.com

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
daiv
Site Admin

10 years of cactiguide.com

Post by daiv »

Hello all. Cactiguide is 10 years old now. It went live on May 5, 2002. However, I had registered the domain name before that date. I did a 10 year registration. This was on a different registrar and they had only an old email for me. So I did not know it had expired until this morning when it went down! I can't believe it has been that long. I remember seeing 2012 and thinking that was forever. Anyway sorry for the down time, this was totally my error.

Daiv
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
Ralf

Re: 10 years of cactiguide.com

Post by Ralf »

Congrats, Daiv!
That's really a long time into the web. Did you thought that you really have so much success therewith?
However you gave many cactus and succulent enthusiasts a perfect place to share their passion. :D
Thank you so much therefor! =D>
That excuses the short down time :wink:
Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize that we cannot eat money.
(Wisdom of the Cree Indians)

Cacti encyclopedia | Facebook
apfire

Post by apfire »

IT WAS HELL WITHOUT YOU!!! I kept trying to post pictures and stuff. Congrats on 10 years!!
I am just looking for the defining statement to put here. Follow this link to see my other cacti.
http://s290.photobucket.com/user/apfire ... cti%202013, 2014 http://s290.photobucket.com/user/apfire ... New%20Year
peterb

Post by peterb »

very glad you could renew the domain name. I was afraid someone bought it, which sometimes happens. Which would be cruddy.

Thanks for the years I have been here! I have loved it since Monday, August 7th, 2006. I am embarrassed to see that I have posted 8253 times (8254 times now!), haha. I hope some tiny slice of that has been useful.

Looking forward to at least ten more years. :-)

peterb
Zone 9
hob

Post by hob »

I thought it must be something like that when the site was down this morning.

Iv'e been here nearly 6 years too :oops: good to see its back :D
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

Has it really been that long? Although my posting activity has dropped off, CG is still an almost daily read for me.

Thanks for your contribution to the entire C&S community.

I always use the site as a reference for those continual "what is it" questions I get from others and pass on the URL as a "primary" resource in my presentations on C&S as resource friendly landscaping alternatives.

Just like growing from seed. You have sown, cultured and continually reaped a lot of good for the community. I am proud to count you as a friend!

Cheers ... GeneS
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

I can't beleive i've been here for half that time! (May 2007)
In that time i went from insane collector to crazy nurseryman to a daddy! What a long strange trip it's been :lol:

Made some great friends both cyber and in person and have gained mountains of info from the members here. Like PB, i hope that a portion of the info and advice i've given has been more on the useful end of things.

Cheers to Daiv and CactiGuide! Here's to another 10 years!
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Congrats on 10 years! This has been by far the best resource I've experienced with the best people. I have to admit - I felt a bit lost without it yesterday! I guess that means I'm officially an Addict.

I can live with that.

; )
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Wow! 10 years! That's a decade: congrats! :occasion7:
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
Gallows

Post by Gallows »

Yesterday when I tried to access the site and found something completely different, I immediately thought that you had forgotten to renew the domain and someone else had nabbed it. Really glad you got it back. Congratulations on 10 years.
Mark
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Hi thanks everyone! Boy, 2012 has just been one thing after another. Crazy! Isn't that the year some people say the world will end? Maybe this is just the beginning. :shock:

Anyway, I sure do appreciate everyone's patience with all the terrible ups and downs we've experienced the last few months. I put in a transfer request to move the domain from the current Network Solutions to Godaddy. There may be some down time with that possibly. Hope not.

The expired domain thing was really my fault. I should have transferred it sooner, but it seemed like I had so much more time to go! Amazing how 10 years really creeps up.

It has been so great knowing everyone here and I too have learned a TON from you all and have benefited greatly from this site. So to answer Ralf - No I sure didn't expect this - in the beginning I just was playing around with website building and had only thought to post picture of the plants in my own collection. Like a personal garden site type thing. There rest just sort of happened. :D
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
John C

Post by John C »

That's awesome Daiv! It has been quite a success if you ask me!

Here is to another great 10 years (Even though I haven't been here for all of that), and many more! :occasion7:
John In Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West begins"
milos

Post by milos »

congratulations on the tenth anniversary =D> :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :hello1: :hello1: :hello1: :thumbup:
SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Congrats on the big 10 Daiv!
Figured it would be a domain issue when I saw the redirect, had that issue once with my old website. The provider's auto notification system died and missed sending me the notification about the renewal coming up.
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

congratulations on this 10 year anniversary daiv! I wish I had found this forum ten years ago, but that would have been even before I started collecting cacti!

the downtime worried me a bit too, it would have been nice if they had first send you an e-mail...
With apologies to the late Professor C. D. Darlington the following misquotation springs to
mind ‘cactus taxonomy is the pursuit of the impossible by the incompetent’ - Fearn & Pearcy, Rebutia (1981)