Time Zone Error???

A place to post thoughts, errors, praise, or other comments about CactiGuide.com
jnspire

Time Zone Error???

Post by jnspire »

I am in the Central Standard time zone.
But, to get posts to list the correct times I had to change my time zone to eastern standard.

I am guessing that this is some type of error. Just thought that you should know. :)

Thanks,
Jer.

-----
Moved to Hollywood, FL (hardiness zone 10b) in September 2022. Previously resided in Minnesota (zone 4b).
Harriet

Re: Time Zone Error???

Post by Harriet »

I'm not sure, but I think you need to set the time on your preference page. I think CST is Greenwich Mean Time plus 6. I don't know if the site adjusts for Daylight Savings, that may be a thing to set in preferences too.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
jnspire

Post by jnspire »

I am sorry, I guess I just needed to click on the daylight savings option.

Thanks though,
Jer.

-----
Moved to Hollywood, FL (hardiness zone 10b) in September 2022. Previously resided in Minnesota (zone 4b).
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

lol I dont have to worry cause we dont change our time at all, but yes there is an option for daylight savings time, which you have to click on..
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.
majcka

Post by majcka »

It is an old topic but... I wonder who invented the daylight saving time (DST)? And what part of the daylight we are saving? It is what it is. We could just wake up an hour earlier. We don't need to move clock. Right?

Well I know it comes from America sonce First world war or something. But we started to use it in 1983 I think. We did just OK even before.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Well they extended daylight savings here about 5 or so years ago.

So we just changed the clocks here. You can read about it online. Personally I don't see much need for it, but it does change the daily routine once a year and gives us stuff to talk about.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
majcka

Post by majcka »

daiv wrote:Well they extended daylight savings here about 5 or so years ago.

So we just changed the clocks here. You can read about it online. Personally I don't see much need for it, but it does change the daily routine once a year and gives us stuff to talk about.
Twice actually. In fall we have to set the clock back and talk about it some more. ](*,)
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

SnowFella

Post by SnowFella »

Every year here we have ppl that turn up for work at all kinds of wrong time, best so far was the bloke that set his clock the wrong way and turned up 2 hours early. Or the numpty that did it one week early.
Peterthecactusguy

Post by Peterthecactusguy »

DSL was invented in the "old" days to help Farmers who woke up at daybreak to be able to do things like go to the bank, etc.. however these days it really serves no purpose, however it became political, and attached to energybills, etc... to try and conserve energy. I have no idea how it does, and I don't understand the politics behind it AND this isn't the place to discuss that anyways, but that is how I understand it. It's supposed to save energy. I also remember getting up before the sun rose in the wintertime (IE the coldest time of the year) because we had to set our clocks back an hour and freeze my behind off in the coldest part of the day walking to school in hs or in middle school waiting for the bus. It never made any sense to me at all. That being said I live in a state that doesn't do it.. mostly because the government in AZ felt it was dangerous for kids to be walking to school, or waiting for their buses in the dark. AZ is further west than many of the Mountain states, and so it probably should be noted that it should be a half hour difference between Mountain time and Pacific time, if not just added to Pacific time on a full time basis. Whatever the case I get totally confused when we SPRING forward, and Fall backwards, as now it seems it should be more like Winter back and late winter forward.. :)
Here's to you, all you insidious creatures of green..er I mean cacti.