Canon Eos Rebel XT

Discuss cameras, settings, composition, or anything related to photography - cactus or other subjects.
DaveW

Re: Canon Eos Rebel XT

Post by DaveW »

Some use a monopod rather than a tripod and I read of one macro photographer who used one with a ball head so the camera could swivel at right angles and tucked the leg of the monopod under his arm for support. It helps though if you basically hold the camera correctly to start with:-

http://www.nobadfoto.com/how-to-hold-a-camera.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/ ... -a-tripod/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://digital-photography-school.com/h ... mera-shake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The advantage of a DSLR with a viewfinder is it is pressed against your face, which helps to provide stability. The disadvantage with compact cameras having a viewing screen on the back is people are often holding them at arms length, which is not the most stable position. Whilst many don't like heavy or bulky cameras since they are inconvenient to carry, weight does provide inertia and stability and a heavy camera tends to shake less than a lighter one during the exposure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIcOY2XRNbQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CoronaCactus

Post by CoronaCactus »

Not sure how the XTi differs from the XT, but i love my XTi. The body is still small enough to carry and maneuver easily, especially with a small lens. I still use my Canon pocket PnS for macro. Way easier and cheaper ;)

I just wish the PC link/control software would show the image on the screen, but all it does is allow you to use the computer to control the camera. So unless you require the camera to be absolutely still, the software is pretty useless...I'm not that lazy to need to sit 2 feet away from the camera and not push a small button :mrgreen: However, having the image on a large monitor does save you from squinting through the viewfinder several hundred times when taking a lot of photos. That would sure be nice!
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

CC wrote:
I just wish the PC link/control software would show the image on the screen, but all it does is allow you to use the computer to control the camera.
I use the remote capture utility from Canon's EOS Utility app. with my laptop. If your camera model supports live view, it can be enabled in the utility setup. Even without a live preview you get an immediate upload of the capture that you can xoom and view for critical needs. Having the controls on the laptop also allows quick changes in exposure etc and actual shutter release while eliminating the need to touch the camera. All you need is the tether cord -camera to USB, supplied with the camera.

This link covers the utility -- http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/pro ... utility.do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A bit too cumberson for field work but absolutely useful for "studio" work, especially for those of us with aging eyesight :o

Cheers ... GeneS
peterb

Post by peterb »

Anyone have direct experience with the Canon 50mm f/1.8 II lens? It's very inexpensive at around $100 new and gets generally very positive reviews at Amazon, etc. German Star uses it, just wondering if anyone else uses it and has any insight.

peterb
Zone 9
GeneS

Post by GeneS »

I would bank on what this guy says ... GeneS

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/50mm-f18.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Generally speaking the simpler the lens construction is the easier for the designers to optically correct it. The 50mm fixed focal length standard lens on 35mm cameras was usually the cheapest but optically one of the best. As soon as you start to make lenses zoom, or elements "float" for internal focusing, the more problems you give the lens designer who has then to compromise maximum optical quality at any focal length in order to give good optical quality throughout the zooming range. No matter how handy and good the modern zoom lens is it can usually not match a fixed focal length lens. However that is often theoretical rather than practical, as provided the optical quality is above the resolution of the method you use to reproduce the image, such as a computer screen or reasonable sized print, you will not see any difference in real life situations.

See these reviews, probably a bit more scientific than Amazon:-

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_50_1p8_ii_c16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/canon ... view-17001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think we have to face the fact that even reasonably cheap photographic equipment these days is better than we are as photographers using it. Therefore most poor images are down to lack of photographic technique on our parts rather than the camera or lens. Build robustness is usually more of a problem for professional photographers who throw their equipment around and use it more than most amateurs who take good care of it and use it less.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Eventually, build robustness will be iimportant to me, as I go banging around Baja and Mexico quite a bit, as well as very rugged terrain here in the US. For example, going island hopping this summer in Baja. I like the relatively rugged body of the P&S Sony Cybershot for this reason, although they still had design flaws in the lens assembly (it gets stuck occasionally). I think my needs are somewhat different at the moment as I do not plan on bringing the digital SLR with me on field trips, but only using it to photograph my plants at home. The Sony Cybershot is the field camera at the moment. The two formats together offer a remarkable range of photographic possibilities.

Anyway, I am still trying to decide where to invest my money. haha.

peterb
Zone 9
peterb

Post by peterb »

Here's a real beginner's question: if you were going to upgrade, buying *one lens* for the Canon, would you buy a fixed lens or a zoom lens? Keeping in mind that the majority of the work the camera is intended to do is pictures of plants. I am getting a bewildering array of conflicting advice on fixed versus zoom.

thanks,

peterb
Zone 9
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

For a single lens a proper fixed focal length macro lens if your prime interest is for flower photography. It also doubles for conventional photography going out to infinity, but focus's closer than a conventional lens does. If you can't afford a new one there are plenty of second hand ones around in camera shops or on EBAY.

http://www.imagemaven.com/macro-lenses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.techradar.com/news/photograp ... ed-1041461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.geofflawrence.com/photographing_flowers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really close-up and macro photography is more technique than equipment. You need to take far more care than in conventional photography since you are usually using slower shutter speeds so need to hold the camera steady, plus as you get closer depth of field diminishes alarmingly therefore the conventional snatch shot point and shoot methods used for conventional distances no longer work. Still it's not that difficult if you just take your time and get used to maximising shallow depths of field.
commodus2.jpg
commodus2.jpg (97.84 KiB) Viewed 7954 times
Andy_CT

Post by Andy_CT »

peterb wrote:Here's a real beginner's question: if you were going to upgrade, buying *one lens* for the Canon, would you buy a fixed lens or a zoom lens? Keeping in mind that the majority of the work the camera is intended to do is pictures of plants. I am getting a bewildering array of conflicting advice on fixed versus zoom.
Fixed. I use fixed lenses 99.9% of the time, I use my 55mm macro 75% of the time. The only reason I have a zoom lens is because my camera came with one. Even with my mighty 6 megapixel dslr I can see the difference easily. Images just have more 'pop' with a sharper lens. Plants don't move so its not much hassle to reposition yourself to get the right view.

The 50mm 1.8 II that you posted above is a fine lens optically buts its not really macro with a minimum distance of 1.5 ft. I'd consider the 50mm 2.5 macro, a bit more expensive. I can't live without dslr macro that's for sure.
peterb wrote:I think my needs are somewhat different at the moment as I do not plan on bringing the digital SLR with me on field trips, but only using it to photograph my plants at home. The Sony Cybershot is the field camera at the moment.
Don't post comments like this, it's not good for my blood pressure!! :)

Your dslr will offer a much greater image flexibility in those harsh sun conditions that you often shoot in especially if you shoot RAW with a decent photo editor. But then I guess it depends how much you want to get into photography. It's not a cheap hobby that's for sure but you got a free camera to start.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Sorry for the blood pressure spike, Andy. haha. I am reluctant to bring expensive equipment and gear to Mexico, as it can advertise one's presence in unfortunate ways. The Cybershot is unobtrusive and attracts no attention. In general, also, I am really rough on gear when I am in the field. Desert, beach and mountain shooting conditions have been the demise of two previous Cybershots and a lot of other non-photographic gear. I will look into various ways photographers protect their gear when they are carrying it in rough environs.

peterb
Zone 9
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Somebody on one forum I was on carried his photo gear in a babies changing bag since he said nobody was likely to steal a bag they thought full of dirty nappies/diapers! :lol:
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

You have gotten a bunch of good advice. (I especially like the diaper bag idea.) The trouble I have with new toys like that is that I end up buying what I think I will need instead of what I will use. Practice until you are comfortable with what you have, then you'll know what to invest in next.
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
peterb

Post by peterb »

Yes, well, that is excellent advice for sure! The one advantage to being a poor high school teacher is I can't afford to buy anything anyway! :-)

peterb
Zone 9
Ron43

Post by Ron43 »

peterb wrote:Yes, well, that is excellent advice for sure! The one advantage to being a poor high school teacher is I can't afford to buy anything anyway! :-)
peterb
I don't know about your situation, but where I live high school teachers are paid very, very well.